– The WWE NXT “Takeover: Brooklyn III” Kickoff pre-show opens with host Charly Caruso, Sam Roberts, Corey Graves and WWE Hall of Famer Lita. They talk about how big tonight’s show, the Barclays Center and being in Brooklyn. They plug the WWE Network and SummerSlam next.
– The panel discusses tonight’s card next. Graves reveals that he will be calling the NXT Tag Team Title match, apparently because of tonight’s NXT Homecoming theme. Graves predicts Hideo Itami vs. Aleister Black will steal the show. Sam and Lita believe the NXT Women’s Title match will steal the show. We go backstage to Renee Young, who is here for the Homecoming theme as well. Renee talks about being back on NXT and says she will have exclusive interviews tonight. She welcomes RAW General Manager Kurt Angle. The WWE Hall of Famer says this is his first NXT and he’s here to enjoy the show, and is looking forward to the two singles title matches. Renee asks if Angle is here to scout talent and he says he’s keeping that close to his chest. Angle also says he’s looking forward to the Fatal 4 Way at SummerSlam. Renee thanks Angle and sends it back to the panel. They talk about Angle and Charly sends us to a preview for tonight’s NXT Tag Team Title match.
– We go back to the panel and SmackDown Tag Team Champion Big E has temporarily replaced Lita. He’s also here for the NXT Homecoming happenings. Big E talks about NXT and downplays criticism on The New Day working the SummerSlam Kickoff pre-show, saying they’re going to start the show off right. Big E predicts The Authors of Pain will retain over SAnitY tonight. Back from a break and Graves thanks Phil Ade for his “No Fear” single being used as one of tonight’s theme songs. Renee is backstage with Shinsuke Nakamura now. We hear fans chanting his name in the arena. Regarding his big match at SummerSlam, Nakamura says he’s staying calm but he’s ready. He agrees with Drew McIntyre when he says this is “our NXT” but he doesn’t like how NXT Champion Bobby Roode says this is his NXT. Neville joins the panel next but he’s still in a bad mood about losing the WWE Cruiserweight Title. Neville says this is Christmas Eve for the King of Cruiserweights and we can expect him to do exactly what he’s been doing at SummerSlam tomorrow – domination. Neville also talks about being in NXT and Sam asks about his former team with Graves. They ask him about Black vs. Itami and he says he’s looking forward to the two kicking each other around. They also ask about Johnny Gargano vs. Andrade “Cien” Almas and things get awkward when Neville stares at Graves as he talks about Gargano bouncing back from his tag team partner turning on him. The tension continues as Neville says you should never trust anyone. Graves quickly wraps up Neville’s segment as Neville continues staring at him. We see Ember Moon arriving backstage with her family and fiance earlier today. Charly sends us to a break.
– Fans continue filing into the Barclays Center as Graves thanks Creeper for their “Poison Pens” single, another theme song for tonight. Charly sends us to a video package for tonight’s NXT Women’s Title match. Back to the panel and Lita is back out. Sasha Banks and Carmella have replaced Sam and Corey. Carmella shows off her Money In the Bank briefcase. Carmella predicts Ember Moon to defeat Asuka tonight. We go backstage to Renee after more discussion. She’s with Becky Lynch and Bayley. They talk about being back at NXT and Bayley gives an update on her injury, noting that she hopes to be checked out again within a month and will have a better timeframe then. Becky believes Ember can take Asuka tonight. Bayley says she kind of wants to see Asuka keep her streak going tonight. We go to another break.
– Back from the break and Corey thanks Code Orange for their “Bleeding The Blur” single used for tonight’s show. The band will be performing live tonight. Charly hypes the show as we see fans still filing into the arena. The panel hypes tonight’s card, SummerSlam and the WWE Network once again. We go to a video package for tonight’s main event. We come back and Baron Corbin has joined the panel. Corbin talks some about being in NXT before they talk about the main event. Charly wraps the pre-show.
– The WWE NXT “Takeover: Brooklyn III” event opens up with band Code Orange performing their “Bleeding In The Blur” single live in the Barclays Center on the stage. This was like a live music video package for the show.
– We’re live as Mauro Ranallo welcomes us. He’s joined by Percy Watson and Nigel McGuinness.
Johnny Gargano vs. Andrade “Cien” Almas
We go right to the ring and out comes Johnny Gargano to a pop. Andrade “Cien” Almas is out next with Zelina Vega.
Fans start chanting “Johnny Wrestling” before the bell. They go at it to start, trading holds and counters. Almas drops Gargano with a shoulder. They run the ropes again and Gargano nails a hurricanrana. More back and forth. They trade pin attempts. Gargano keeps Almas grounded now. Fans chant for Gargano again. Almas breaks free with an elbow. Gargano with chops in corners as Vega yells from ringside. Almas counters Gargano in the corner and drops him with a backbreaker type of move. Almas keeps control and drops Gargano with another elbow. Almas with a low dropkick for a 2 count.
Almas keeps control now, working on the arm as he keeps Gargano grounded. Vega cheers on Almas as fans try to rally for Gargano. Gargano fights up and nails an arm drag. Almas charges but Gargano sends him face first into the turnbuckle. Almas turns it around with a kick but Gargano blocks a suplex with a knee to the head. They both go down after a double clothesline.
They trade shots in the middle of the ring now. Gargano gets rocked but he responds by unloading. Gargano with a nice roundhouse kick to the head. Gargano ends up on the apron. Almas runs the ropes but Gargano hits a slingshot spear from the apron. Almas kicks out at 2. More back and forth now. Gargano hits a big back kick, sending Almas to the floor. Gargano runs the ropes and nails the dive, sending Almas into the barrier. Vega isn’t happy. Fans chant NXT now. Gargano brings it back into the ring and hits the big slingshot DDT for another close 2 count. Fans chant for Gargano again.
Gargano scoops Almas but Almas slides out. They trade counters again. Gargano goes for another slingshot spear from the apron but Almas catches him and hits a big tornado inverted DDT for a close 2 count. Vega and Almas can’t believe it. Almas takes Gargano to the top and hits a big chop. Almas climbs up but Gargano fights back. Gargano goes for the sunset flip powerbomb but Almas escapes and lands on his feet. Almas drops Gargano with a spinning elbow. Almas charges but Gargano hits an enziguri. Almas comes right back and sends Gargano into the turnbuckles with a big hip toss. More back and forth. Gargano gets Almas in the Gargano Escape in the middle of the ring.
Almas ends up breaking out. Almas with a big buckle bomb on Gargano. Almas goes on and covers for a close 2 count. The crowd goes wild now. Almas signals that he’s ready to finish Gargano off. Fans chant for Gargano. Almas with a knee to the face and more shots to the arm. Gargano with a back kick and then a superkick. Gargano scoops Almas and launches him into the middle turnbuckle like a lawn dart. Gargano readies for the finish but Vega distracts him by throwing a DIY t-shirt at him. Almas takes advantage and hits a dropkick into the corner. Almas hits the big hammerlock DDT for the pin.
Winner: Andrade “Cien” Almas
– After the match, Almas and Vega celebrate as we go to replays. We come back to Vega and Almas on the ramp, all smiles as Gargano recovers in the middle of the ring.
– We see RAW General Manager Kurt Angle and SmackDown General Manager Daniel Bryan watching the show in a skybox. Peyton Royce and Billie Kay are annoying Bryan while it looks like Roderick Strong is sitting beside Angle. No Way Jose and a few others are hanging out nearby as well.
– Drew McIntyre is backstage warming up for the main event.
– The announcers lead us to a video package for tonight’s NXT Tag Team Title match.