WWE Monday Night RAW Report – 8/31/2009
– Tonight’s WWE RAW kicks off with Michael Cole welcoming us to Detroit. Cole and Lawler plug a Fatal Four-way for the United States Title tonight featuring Kofi Kingston vs. The Miz vs. Jack Swagger vs. Carlito and the Big Show vs. Mark Henry singles match.
– We go to the ring where Lilian Garcia introduces tonight’s RAW guest host, WWE Hall of Famer Dusty Rhodes. The music hits and out comes Dusty to a nice reaction.
Dusty makes his way to the ring and a big Dusty chant breaks out in the crowd, big pop here for The Dream. Dusty talks about being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in Detroit and puts the city over, then does a little dance. Dusty says he is proud of his son Cody Rhodes and the crowd starts booing. Dusty says he knows Cody has a bad attitude with Legacy and Randy Orton some times but there’s nothing he wouldn’t do for his son. Dusty says he hopes one day Cody will see the light and maybe that light will shine tonight. Dusty talks about the I Quit match with Orton and John Cena at Breaking Point. Some boo’s for Cena’s name. Dusty says Cena will challenge his son Cody for the WWE Title at Breaking Point because tonight, it will be Cody Rhodes vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Title. The crowd pops. Dusty says he will be in Cody’s corner tonight. Dusty announces the special referee as John Cena for the match. Voices hits and out comes Randy Orton.
Orton makes way to the ring. Orton says it’s obvious that Dusty is jealous of him because Cody looks up to Orton more than he has ever looked up to Dusty. Orton says Dusty is trying to win back Cody’s love by giving him a WWE Title shot and it’s pathetic. Orton asks Dusty what makes him think Cody will even agree to this match. Dusty says Cody is hungrier than Orton and he will become WWE Champion tonight. Orton asks for one good reason why he shouldn’t kick Dusty in the skull like he did two years ago. The music hits and out comes Cody Rhodes to the ring.
Cody addresses Orton and says he’s talking to his father. Cody says he and Orton are associates, maybe even friends. Cody says this is a golden opportunity and he will not pass it up. Cody says he intends to become the youngest WWE Champion in history tonight. Cody tells Orton it’s not personal, it’s strictly business. Orton brings up Dusty and Cena being involved with the match and says it’s obvious the fix is in. Dusty says Orton better believe it, the fix is in. The RAW theme music hits as Orton makes his way up the ramp and stares down Cody from the ring.
– Backstage we see a referee talking to the WWE Divas, going over the rules to a battle royal. Odd. Lawler announces Dusty Rhodes has made a 6 Divas Battle Royal for tonight with the winner getting a Divas Title shot tonight. We go to commercial.
The winner of this gets a Divas Title shot later tonight against Mickie James. Out first is Kelly Kelly and Gail Kim followed by Beth Phoenix. Rosa Mendes is out next followed by Jillian Hall and last, Alicia Fox. The match starts and they all go at it. Kelly tries dumping Beth early on while Gail and Rosa go at it. Beth tries dumping Kelly over the top but Kelly hangs on. Rosa and Beth go at it until Beth eliminates Rosa.
Kelly fights off Alicia and Jillian until Alicia hits a big axe kick. Alicia goes over the top and does Kelly. Beth and Gail go at it. Beth holds on to the ropes and avoids going over. Beth and Gail fight it on the apron. Gail slams Beth’s head into the ring posts. Gail tries to eliminate Jillian and they go back and forth on the apron. Gail misses a crossbody off the ropes but blocks Jillian’s springboard into the corner with knees.
Gail and Jillian go back and forth some more. Gail hangs on the ropes and stops the elimination. They botch a head scissors move here and the crowd boo’s. Jillian tosses Gail over the top but she hangs on. Gail eliminates Jillian. Beth Phoenix gets up off the apron and eliminates Gail to win the match and the title shot later tonight.
Winner and New #1 Contender: Beth Phoenix
MVP vs. Chris Jericho
Lawler and Cole plug tonight’s matches as one-half of the WWE Unified Tag Team Champions Chris Jericho makes his way to the ring. We go to commercial as Jericho enters the ring.
Back from the break and Jericho is in the ring awaiting his opponent, MVP. The music hits and MVP comes out to a nice pop. The bell rings and they go at it quick. MVP takes Jericho down to the mat and they go back and forth. Jericho slaps MVP on the back of the head. More back and forth mat wrestling here. Jericho takes it to their feet and knocks MVP down. Stomps by Jericho now.
Jericho taunts MVP and stomps him some more. Big back drop by Jericho and a 2 count. Rights by Jericho until MVP fights back with a series of rights. Jericho goes down. Overhead suplex by MVP. He goes for a big knee to the face but Jericho turns it into the Walls of Jericho, or an attempt at least. MVP fights out of it and ends up hitting Jericho with a big boot for a 2 count.
MVP takes Jericho down with a flying clothesline for another 2 count. MVP misses his big kick in the corner as Jericho dodges it. Jericho dropkicks MVP from the apron to the outside of the ring as we go back to commercial break.
Back from the break and Jericho has MVP down on the mat. MVP fights out of it but runs into a big boot. MVP chops Jericho off the top rope and starts fighting back. Jericho nails a bulldog. Jericho goes for the Lionsault but MVP moves out of the way. MVP with a low dropkick to the head. MVP hits the Ballin’ elbow and goes for the Playmaker. Jericho counters it and tries for the Walls of Jericho but MVP rolls him up for a 2 count. Jericho gets up and ends up hitting the Codebreaker for the pinfall and the win.
Winner: Chris Jericho
– Backstage we see Dusty Rhodes looking at a WCW DVD when DX walks up. They understand Cody is Dusty’s son but he and Legacy are a disgrace to their fathers. Dusty says once Cody wins the WWE Title tonight, he’s going to give a title shot to either HBK or HHH. This causes some typical DX bickering between the two. They agree to discuss it when they get home. DX say they’re bored. Dusty invites them to hang out with him to watch the WCW DVD. Of course, HBK takes the DVD and plugs it. Dusty brings out his Dusty Rhodes Story DVD and plugs it. Triple H says he and Shawn hate cheap plugs and proceeds to plug the New & Improved DX DVD. They all three hold the DVD’s with cheesy smiles. More comedy and the segment ends with Shawn trying to put the WCW DVD in.
– Backstage we see Hornswoggle walking around looking like a cowboy. Jerry Lawler says we have a Texas Bullrope match coming up and we go to commercial.
Texas Bullrope Match: Hornswoggle vs. Chavo Guerrero
This one was made by Dusty Rhodes. The first person to tie their opponent up and ring the bell is the winner. Out first is the cowboy version of Hornswoggle. Chavo Guerrero comes out next in a cow suit. The referee ties them up with the bullrope. Before the referee ties Chavo’s hand up, he goes outside to where Lilian is and grabs the head to the suit – a cow’s head. The ref tells Chavo to put the cow mask on or he forfeits the match. Chavo puts it on. This is bad, real bad.
They both tug at each other on the rope. Hornswoggle does some comedy and runs around Chavo. He ends up on Chavo’s back and rides him like a horse. Hornswoggle gets knocked down by a kick from Chavo. Chavo takes the hat off and the referee tries to get it back on him. Chavo goes to the top rope but Evan Bourne comes down and distracts him. Hornswoggle pulls Chavo off the top by the bullrope. I don’t know what’s going on, this is horrid. Hornswoggle runs around Chavo with the bullrope and ties him up for the win.
– After the match, Evan Bourne gets in to celebrate with Hornswoggle. Chavo knocks Bourne down from behind and goes to spear Hornswoggle but hits the ring post. Hornswoggle goes to the top rope for a Tadpole Splash but Bourne stops him and gives him the cow mask. Hornswoggle hits the Splash off the top with the cow mask on. Horrible. Ridiculous. Bad TV. We take another commercial break.
Big Show vs. Mark Henry
We come back from the break and the other half of the WWE Unified Tag Team Champions Big Show makes his way to the ring. Out next is Mark Henry to a nice reaction. The bell rings and they come face to face in the ring. Show mushes Henry in the face. They lock up and Henry pushes Show into the ropes. They go back and forth some more. Headbutts by Henry stun Show. Show goes for a big chop in the corner but Henry counters it with a knee. Henry with a headlock.
Show finally gets out of the hold and we’ve got some boo’s from the crowd. Show comes off the ropes and nails a big spear on Henry. Show takes Henry to the corner and works him over. Show runs into a big shoulder from Henry and right hands. Henry with a big forearm in the corner and a splash. Henry with another splash that knocks Big Show down. Henry with another splash on the mat for a 2 count.
Henry charges in the corner but runs into an elbow. Show goes to the corner and takes the turnbuckle padding off. The referee tries to stop him but can’t. Henry charges again and Show moves, making Henry hit the exposed turnbuckle. The referee calls for the bell while Big Show takes Mark Henry out with the KO punch. Show leaves the ring as the referee tends to a downed Mark Henry.
Winner by DQ: Mark Henry
– We see Cody Rhodes backstage getting ready. Ted DiBiase walks in and asks if he’s ready. Cody says tonight he’s going to make an impact. Randy Orton walks in and asks if Cody is really going through with this. Orton says no matter what happens in the ring tonight, it’s not personal – just business. Orton walks off and we get ready for another break.
– Back from the break and DX is backstage with Dusty watching the WCW DVD where Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan did the Fingerpoke of Doom. Dusty says he was part of the Rise of WCW and that’s part of the Fall right there. Dusty and DX debate who was better – WCW or WWE and the Monday Night Wars. Dusty Rhodes talk about them being friends of Kevin Nash. They do some comedy about Shawn not being a part of the Attitude era and he storms off. Triple H asks who was the moron who made a talentless person like Marc Mero into Johnny B. Badd. It was Dusty. Shawn comes back with some more comedy to end the segment. Good stuff.
Fatal Four-way for the United States Title: Kofi Kingston vs. The Miz vs. Carlito vs. Jack Swagger
Jack Swagger makes his way out first followed by Carlito and The Miz. Out next is the WWE United States Champion Kofi Kingston to a nice reaction. The bell rings and The Miz goes out to the floor. Kofi hits Swagger with a big dropkick and goes to work on Carlito, hitting him with right hands in the corner. Swagger comes up and suplexes Kofi. Carlito dropkicks Swagger to the floor. 2 count by Carlito. Miz comes in and throws Carlito to the floor and goes to work on Kofi.
Back and forth by Miz and Kofi. Carlito comes in and gets dumped over the top on Swagger. Miz goes over. Kofi runs the ropes and leaps over onto all three of his opponents. RAW goes to commercial.
Back from the break and Swagger and Kofi are going at it with Swagger in control. Swagger has a half Boston crab locked on Kofi. Miz comes in and breaks the hold with a neckbreaker on Swagger. Carlito gets knocked to the floor as Miz gets a 2 count. Miz and Kofi go at it now. Stomps and kicks by Miz. Miz with big knees in the corner. Carlito comes in off the ropes with a dropkick and a 2 count on Miz. Carlito beats down Kofi and Miz. Carlito runs into Kofi’s knees. Kofi with a move off the top onto Miz and Carlito for a 2 count. Swagger throws Kofi into the ring post and splashes Carlito and Miz in the corners. Vader Bomb by Swagger on Carlito for a 2 count.
Swagger goes for the Vader Bomb on Miz but he puts his knees up. Miz gets dumped to the floor. Kofi slams Carlito onto Swagger and hits the big double leg drop on both of them at the same time for a 2 count on Swagger as Miz broke it up. Miz throws Kofi to the floor and hits his clothesline in the corner on Carlito. Swagger goes for a gutwrench powerbomb on Carlito but Miz nails the Finale on Swagger for a 2 count. Carlito hits the Backstabber on Miz but Kofi nails Trouble in Paradise on Carlito for the pinfall and the win.
Winner: Kofi Kingston
WWE Divas Title Match: Beth Phoenix vs. Mickie James
Back from commercial and Beth Phoenix is waiting in the ring. Out next is the WWE Divas Champion Mickie James. The bell rings and Mickie gets a 1 count. Mickie with a headlock that Beth gets out of. Beth goes for a body slam but rams Mickie into the corner instead. Beth stomps on Mickie in the corner as the referee tries to get her off.
Beth slides and kicks Mickie’s head into the ring post. Mickie makes it back in the ring but she’s hurt. Beth charges her and knocks her down with a shoulder. Beth scoops Mickie again and drops her with a shoulder breaker and a 2 count. Beth starts dropping knees on Mickie’s shoulder. Mickie fights back with kicks and left hands. Beth shoves her back again but runs into an elbow. Mickie kicks Beth’s knee out from under her and hits her with a dropkick to the jaw. Mickie is still holding her other arm. Beth tosses Mickie into the corner again and they go back and forth. Mickie with a head scissors takedown.
Mickie climbs the ropes and Beth kicks her off down to the floor. Beth goes to the floor and throws Mickie into the fan barrier. Back in the ring and Beth gets a 2 count. Beth runs and kicks Mickie in the mouth. Beth goes for a sideslam off the ropes but Mickie counters with a DDT out of nowhere for the pinfall and the win.
Winner: Mickie James
– Backstage and DX is with Dusty Rhodes again talking about WCW. Dusty talks about some of the stars who came from WCW. Triple H says WCW’s greatest moment ever isn’t on the DVD… the Shockmaster. HBK doesn’t know what Shockmaster is and Triple H explains it to him. A voice that sounds like Shockmaster starts saying their names. The wall blows up and a guy wearing a Shockmaster helmet falls through the wall. He tells DX to witness his power – he will shock them. They ask where the voice is coming from and point over to the side where Arn Anderson is reading lines into a microphone off paper. Arn says sorry Dream and hurries off. DX walk off as well. Dusty yells at the Shockmaster guy that it should have worked. He takes the helmet off and it’s Santino Marella playing Shockmaster. We go to commercial.
– Back from commercial and John Cena is backstage with Josh Matthews. Matthews asks about the WWE Title. Cena says he does control the fate of the belt tonight as he’s the special referee. Cena cuts a promo and says at Breaking Point, he will not quit and will win.
WWE Title Match: Cody Rhodes vs. Randy Orton
The WWE Champion Randy Orton makes his way to the ring for tonight’s main event. We see Dusty Rhodes backstage giving Cody a pep talk as we go to commercial break.
Back from the break and Cole and Lawler confirm that Bob Barker will be hosting next week’s RAW. Cody Rhodes makes his way to the ring with Dusty right behind him. Lilian introduces this match’s special guest referee – John Cena, and he comes out to a big pop for the most part. Cena comes in the ring and checks Orton. Dusty takes the mic and says there’s nothing a father wouldn’t do for his son. Dusty tells Cena he is sorry and Orton and Cody attack Cena.
Ted DiBiase comes down and hits Dream Street on Cena. All three members of Legacy beat down Cena as Dusty looks on. DX’s music hits and out they come to the ring. HBK goes after Ted while Triple h works on Orton. Cody goes down. Dusty enters the ring and hits Triple H in the head with his cowboy boot. Shawn gets triple teamed by Legacy now. Cody hits the Crossroads on Shawn.
Orton stomps on Cena. Legacy stands with Dusty Rhodes, raising their hands high as DX and John Cena are laid out in the ring. Out of nowhere, Orton hits the RKO on Dusty. This pisses Cody off. Cody is furious as Dusty is laid out in the ring. Orton stares down Cody and he looks away. RAW goes off the air with Orton staring at Cody and the crowd chanting Cody’s name.