Jim Ross is back with another blog on jrsbarbq.com. Some of the highlights:
– MMA fighter Josh Barnett was at Summerslam hanging with David Hart Smith after the event. I did not get to do much more than say hello to Josh who has been embroiled in a fair amount of controversy lately. I’ve always found Josh to be a good guy and wish him well in the future…..no, not endeavors….simply the future.
– Val Venis aka Shawn Morley and Matt “A Train” Bloom were backstage visitors in Phoenix. Both are really good guys and are seemingly enjoying working regularly in Japan. I remember interviewing big Matt when we first hired him in WWE. I always liked Matt and even got to know his Dad who played college football at Michigan and in the old, AFL with the then Boston Patriots. I always looked at getting to know a talent’s family members, when possible, as a viable part of the recruiting process and on which to build a solid relationship.
– The C.M. Punk vs. Jeff Hardy Steel Cage match that airs this week on Friday Night Smackdown on MyNetworkTV is a memorable, TV main event that really had a special feel. I hope that Todd Grisham and I did the match justice as it was a special presentation from where I was sitting.
– Many WWE Superstars and I did interviews Tuesday afternoon for an upcoming Jeff Hardy DVD that will be released in a few weeks. I don’t know how many talents were involved but there were several. John Cena was included as he and I visited about this project Tuesday evening in Phoenix.
– It was good seeing Edge, albeit on crutches, backstage at Summerslam. The Rated R Superstar was in great spirits and is looking forward to his return to the ring sometime in 2010. There is no definitive date as to when Edge will be returning to the ring and hopefully he won’t rush it. Achilles tendon injuries usually heal in 6-9 months.