WWE RAW Report – August 24th, 2009
– Tonight’s RAW opens with a highlight video, showing the controversial ending to Randy Orton and John Cena’s match at SummerSlam. We cut right to Randy Orton backstage. He says last night, he defeated John Cena but not without controversy. Orton talks about the fan interfering and going onto win the match. Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes are beside him. Orton asks Ted if it really was a fan. Ted says no, it was his brother Brett DiBiase. Brett walks into the view of the camera. Ted says his brother bought a ticket for the show last night and watched at ringside. Ted says he had no idea Brett was going to do that. Randy says he can guarantee Brett will never interfere in one of his matches. Brett apologizes to Orton. Cody says regardless, Randy would have won the match against Cena. Orton backs this up and we go to the arena where Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler welcome us to RAW at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. They hype Floyd Mayweather.
– Lilian Garcia is in the ring. She introduces the Chairman, Vince McMahon. Out comes Vince to the ring and he looks to be in a good mood. Vince talks about Floyd Mayweather hosting RAW tonight and the crowd boo’s. Vince says last night’s WWE Title match was filled with controversy but the referee’s decision stands, Orton is still WWE Champion. Vince says John Cena will get his rematch against Orton at the Breaking Point pay-per-view. Vince says this show will be one like we’ve never seen before – all the main events will be Submission matches. Vince says Cena vs. Orton may be the ultimate Submission match – an I Quit match. Vince says if anyone interferes on Orton’s behalf, he will be stripped of the title. Vince thanks the crowd and gets ready to leave when DX’s music hits and out they come.
DX hit the ring and the crowd pops. As soon as they enter the ring, Vince says goodnight and goes to leave. Triple H says no, hold on – they need him out here for something. DX cut a promo on Vince and Shawn brings up his birthday. They beat around the bush and joke on Vince before finally saying it is his birthday. Triple H says he’s turning 84 and the crowd starts chanting 84. HBK corrects him, but Triple H announces it as Vince’s 74th. More comedy until Vince yells that he’s 64 and he’s pissed now. Vince asks them to just leave, please.
Triple H asks Vince how many more birthdays he has left, especially in Vegas. Shawn says if Vince doesn’t want to have a happy birthday, he respects that. Shawn does put over Vince’s genius, saying it’s the reason we watch WWE TV. Shawn shows us a tribute video he’s had done for Vince on the big screen. Lots of classic photos of Vince and family, different clips and such from over the years. They start showing some of Vince’s more embarrassing clips over the years.
We go back to the arena and Vince says he won’t forget about this. Triple H says he probably will, considering his age. Triple H says he won’t forget this though. Crew members in DX shirts bring out a huge birthday cake on wheels. They start singing happy birthday but Triple H says he just isn’t feeling it, this is Vegas. Shawn agrees and says what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Triple H says it doesn’t matter if you send out memos to your employees saying not to celebrate your birthday on live TV. Shawn says it’s not Vegas without Showgirls. 5 Vegas Showgirls in full get-up come walking down the ramp to some music.
The Showgirls enter the ring and kiss Vince on the cheek. He asks DX how long this is going to go on. They bring out some stilt performers from one of the Circuses in Vegas. Vince tells them their masks are gay while one bounces around on his shoes. Next out is an Elvis impersonator. Vince says it’s the skinniest Elvis he’s ever seen. Elvis has Vince put his glasses on. Elvis leads everyone in singing happy birthday to Vince.
Triple H tells Vince to look at his cake. They hit some cheesy music and out comes Big Dick Johnson. Like nobody saw that one coming. Johnson hits the ring and dances around. Vince shoves him out of the ring to the floor and the crowd boo’s. Vince says he’s had enough of this birthday crap. DX say they have one more thing, something private, and ask the Vegas personalities leave the ring. DX is calling this a private moment. HBK tells Vince he had nothing to do with this. They get Vince to stand in a certain spot in the ring, moving him around. All of a sudden, Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes hit the ring and attack DX. Shawn gets a chair, brings it in the ring and chase them off. Randy Orton appears at the top of the ramp. Triple H takes a mic and says Legacy must not have got enough last night. He says since Floyd Mayweather isn’t here yet, he’s making a match tonight. He announces Randy Orton, Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes vs. DX and Vince McMahon for tonight. Vince looks a bit shocked but likes it and announces the match will be a No DQ match. Vince says if you’re not down with that, we got two words for ya… the crowd finishes the rest. DX’s music hits as Legacy stares down from the stage. Vince puts on a DX hat as we go to a Mayweather promo and commercial break.
Santino Marella vs. The Miz
Back from the break and Santino Marella is in the ring ready to go. Out next is his opponent, The Miz. The bell rings and Miz beats Santino down to the mat.
Santino comes back with a big hip toss but Miz ends up getting a 2 count. Miz with a running kick to the head and another 2 count. Miz applies a submission hold on Santino. Miz misses a move int he corner and Santino fights back with right hands and some comedy. Santino misses a big elbow drop and Miz hits him with the Skull Crushing Finale for the pinfall and the win.
Winner: The Miz
– After the match, The Miz takes the mic and says that is his getting one step closer to beating Kofi Kingston for the United States Title. He tells everyone he’s awesome before heading to the back.
Back from the break and Beth Phoenix, Alicia Fox and Rosa are in the ring wearing boxing gear and UFC style gloves. This one is announced as a Mayweather Melee. The WWE Divas Champion Mickie James, Gail Kim and Kelly are out next. Gail and Beth start out but Gail tags in Kelly for some double teaming. Kelly hits some moves on Beth before getting slammed to the mat and rocked with rights.
Rosa is tagged in and she works over Kelly in the corner. Kelly and Rosa go for a tag at the same time. In comes Mickie and Rosa. They trade lefts and rights with Mickie connecting and dodging. She decks Rosa and swings at Beth. Mickie with a neckbreaker on Alicia for a 2 count as Beth comes in. Mickie hits Beth and Gail connects on her with a dropkick from the top. Kelly with a dropkick of her own. Mickie with more rights on Alicia. Alicia throws Mickie into the ringpost and hits a scissor kick to the back of the head for the pinfall and the win.
Winners: Beth Phoenix, Alicia Fox and Rosa Mendez
– Michael Cole says again that Floyd Mayweather will arrive at RAW in just a few minutes. They hype tonight’s main event as we go back to commercial.
– Back from the break and DX is backstage. Shawn is voicing concerns about Vince getting in the ring tonight against three top stars in Legacy. Triple H is looking at a Rise and Fall of WCW DVD. They plug the DVD and a new DX hat. A loud noise is heard in the background and they start yelling over it. Usual DX stuff here. They talk about needing a way to get Vince McMahon pissed for tonight’s match. Triple H says he came up with something and if he’s right, Vince is getting pissed right about now….
– We cut to Vince McMahon’s office where he is standing. Jillian Hall comes in, dressed as Marilyn Monroe, singing Happy Birthday to Vince. He yells at her, telling her to get out of his office.
Show takes the mic first and addresses Floyd Mayweather, saying he must be avoiding him tonight, which is a smart decision. Show says if he gets his hands on Mayweather tonight, he’s going to hurt him. Show says they have unfinished business from WrestleMania. He says until Floyd shows up, he’s not leaving the ring. Jericho says he’s not leaving either. We see Floyd Mayweather and some of his entourage on the big screen, headed to the ring. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and we see Show and Jericho still in the ring. Lilian Garcia introduces tonight’s RAW host, Floyd Mayweather. Mayweather’s music plays and out he comes with about 10 guys behind him. They stop on the ramp as the pyro goes off. Mayweather enters the ring as his entourage waits outside.
Mayweather talks about being at RAW and tells Show he will do the same thing tonight that he did at WrestleMania. Floyd talks about his September 19th pay-per-view boxing match and says it’s more important. Floyd comes eye to eye with Chris Jericho. Jericho says Floyd was introduced as the greatest fighter in the world but he agrees. Jericho calls him a great showboater and self promoter but as a boxer, he’s not very good. Jericho tells Floyd he thinks Floyd will lose his boxing match against Marquez. Show says after that, he and Jericho will wipe up what’s left. MVP’s music hits and out he comes. MVP, from the stage, says he don’t appreciate them disrespecting his friend like that. MVP says Floyd has made him a lot of money over the years and insults Show & Jericho’s intelligence.
Jericho says Floyd knocked Show out with 18 of his friends. MVP says Show has no friends to help him, nobody likes him and keeps on with the insults. Jericho says Show is his friend and MVP better watch what he’s saying. MVP tells him to just shut up and he’s tired of hearing it week after week. MVP talks about the Tag Titles and says if Jericho loses them, he will be sent back to SmackDown and not seen on RAW anymore. Show asks who’s going to beat them. MVP says he has an idea and asks Floyd if he can find a partner, will Floyd give them a title shot at the Breaking Point pay-per-view. Floyd likes this and says we can have the match tonight. MVP introduces his tag team partner, Mark Henry. Henry comes out to a big pop. MVP and Henry head to the ring for their title shot as Floyd laughs.
MVP and Mark Henry vs. Chris Jericho and Big Show
Back from the break and the match is already going on. MVP with a big kick on Jericho and a 2 count. A big boot from MVP sends Jericho back down. Big Show runs in and clotheslines MVP and scoop slams him. Another scoop slam by Show. And another.
Show with a headlock on MVP. MVP runs off the ropes but runs into a big boot from MVP. Floyd and entourage watch on from the ramp. Show applies a full nelson on MVP. Show chokeslams MVP out of the hold and tags in Jericho. 2 count by Jericho. Jericho tags Henry and distracts the ref. Show chokes MVP while this is going on. Jericho catapults MVP’s neck into the bottom rope and they trade shots. MVP kicks off Jericho and tries to tag in Henry but can’t. Jericho with a headlock.
Floyd yells at Jericho as he works over MVP. They go to the floor but come right back in. Jericho with stomps on MVP. MVP starts fighting back and tries to tag Henry. Jericho stops him again and goes back to the corner. Show is tagged in and he takes MVP down. Big Show wraps MVP’s leg up and gets a 2 count out of it. Jericho comes back in and collides with MVP on a double clothesline. They both go down as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and MVP counters for a 2 count on Jericho. Jericho comes back and takes MVP down again. More stomps by Jericho. Jericho misses a Lionsault. Henry finally comes in. Jericho tries a Codebreaker but Henry counters and hits the World’s Strongest Slam but Jericho counters it and gets a 2 count out of it. MVP comes back in and hits a knee to the face on Jericho and then the Ballin’ elbow drop. Jericho takes MVP down with a kick to the head and a 2 count until Henry makes the save. Henry knocks Show off the apron and to the floor. Mayweather comes over and hands some kind of jewelry to MVP while the referee is distracted. It’s the same piece he used on Big Show at WrestleMania. MVP decks Jericho with the piece and pins him for the win and title shot. Apparently this one wasn’t for the titles, but they earned a shot at Breaking Point.
Winners: Mark Henry and MVP
– After the match, Floyd Mayweather gets in the ring to celebrate with Henry and MVP. Jericho is still laid out.
– Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes are backstage talking with Brett DiBiase about having another shot at DX tonight. Randy Orton walks in and tells Brett to excuse them. Orton says he’s going to put Vince McMahon out of action on his birthday and kick him in the head. We go to commercial.
Boxing Exhibition Match: Chavo Guerrero vs. Hornswoggle
Back from the break and we get a recap of Hornswoggle and Chavo Guerrero from last week. Lilian Garcia introduces the next match is made by Floyd Mayweather. Hornswoggle and Chavo Guerrero are in the ring dressed like boxers, with gloves and everything. The referee tells Chavo he won’t be needing these regular gloves and goes to the floor to bring in a pair of huge boxing gloves. He makes Chavo put them on.
Chavo swings wide and Hornswoggle hits him with lefts and rights. Another miss by Chavo and more shots by Horny. Chavo takes a big swing and falls to the mat. Hornswoggle hits a big right hand and Chavo goes down. The ref is distracted and Chavo takes the gloves off. He turns around and scoop slams Hornswoggle. The bell is called for and that’s it.
Winner by DQ: Hornswoggle
– After the match, Chavo goes to the top rope for a frogsplash. Evan Bourne comes running down and hits a bunch of kicks on Chavo. Bourne climbs to the top now and nails the Shooting Star Press and checks on Hornswoggle. Hornswoggle and Bourne taunt Chavo as he heads up the ramp and we get ready for another break.
– Back from the break and Michael Cole leads us into a video showing some of the highlights from SummerSlam weekend in Los Angeles.
– We go to Vince McMahon’s locker room where he is sparring with Floyd Mayweather and talking. Carlito walks in and asks about his rematch against Kofi Kingston. DX walk in and do some comedy. They say Vince better get busy warming up with Floyd… Triple H says so that will give him more time to get busy with Vince’s daughter. Vince knocks out Carlito with a right hand. “Now that was cool….” and DX walk off as Vince and Floyd get back to sparring and we go to commercial.
DX and Vince McMahon vs. Legacy
Back in the arena and DX’s music hits as Shawn Michaels and Triple H make their way to the ring to a big pop. DX get another long entrance with all the pyro and some glow sticks thrown to the fans. No Chance hits and out comes Vince McMahon in all black. Voices starts playing as the WWE Champion makes his way out with Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase.
As Legacy approach the ring, Triple H backdrops Shawn over the top rope to the floor, landing on Legacy. Vince gets a bit of action as Shawn goes at it with Cody in the ring. He tags in Triple H. HHH with rights on Cody and a tag to Shawn. They double team Cody and throw him over the top rope onto Orton and DiBiase. Legacy take a minute to regroup on the ramp as we go back to commercial.
Back from the break and Triple H is down with Ted DiBiase. Shawn is tagged in and he takes Ted out with right hands and chops. Shawn knocks Orton and Cody off the apron and slams Ted again. Shawn goes to the top rope and the crowd pops. Shawn hits the big elbow drop but Cody rushes the ring and takes Shawn out. Ted tags in Orton and holds Shawn’s leg so he can’t move. Orton starts stomping away on Shawn.
Orton drops a knee to the back of the head and covers HBK for a 2 count. Cody is tagged in and he stomps away on Shawn in the corner. Cody works on the neck now. Shawn and Cody go back and forth until Shawn ends up back in the corner and Ted is tagged back in. Ted mounts HBK with right hands. Ted holds Shawn and Orton is tagged back in for some double teaming. Orton drops a big knee on Shawn.
Another big knee by Orton and a 2 count. Orton works over Shawn some more and applies a headlock. Shawn finally fights out of it and back drops Orton. Orton tags in Cody and he stops Shawn from tagging in Triple H, knocking he and Vince off the apron. HBK finally makes the tag and Triple H comes in on Cody. High knee off the ropes and a knee to the face by Triple H. He knocks Ted and Orton off the apron. Spinebuster on Cody. Triple H gets Vince hype and he wants the tag. Triple H ducks Cody and nails the Pedigree. Vince is tagged in. Triple H takes Ted to the floor. Vince covers Cody but Randy Orton hits Vince and breaks the pin. Orton backs up for the punt kick on Vince but Shawn stops him with a flying forearm. Legacy retreats to the ramp while DX and Vince are in the ring. John Cena’s music hits and the crowd erupts.
Cena comes down the ramp and fights with Orton. Cena throws him back in the ring and hits the Attitude Adjuster. Cena stands back as Vince pins Orton for the win.
Winners: DX and Vince McMahon
– After the match, Shawn and Triple H celebrate as Cena stands over Orton. Vince goes to leave the ring but Triple H motions for him to stay. Orton is on the floor, laid out as Vince, Cena and DX raise their hands high in the air and RAW goes off the air.