WWE RAW Results – March 9, 2009
– Tonight’s WWE RAW kicks off with a video package showing what has happened with Randy Orton and Triple H, with Orton’s comments from last week about pressing charges on Triple H, and the match at WrestleMania being settled on and everything else that happened last week. We see clips from this past Friday’s SmackDown where Legacy attacked Triple H after his match with Umaga.
– Michael Cole starts talking as a camera is outside the St. Louis home of Randy Orton. Cole says tonight we will talk to Randy Orton via satellite. Lawler plugs the Triple H vs. Rhodes & DiBiase Handicap match tonight as we go to the arena.
– Shawn Michaels’ music hits as he comes out to a nice pop from the packed crowd in Jacksonville, FL. Lilian Garcia introduces Shawn, who isn’t dressed to wrestle. HBK takes the mic as the crowd chants his name. HBK talks about the 16-0 streak of The Undertaker’s at WrestleMania but says when it comes to show stopping performances, he is no slouch. HBK says this past week on SmackDown, he sent Taker a little message, a video of some of Shawn’s best WrestleMania moments. HBK says it’s important to understand, he respects Taker but is not afraid of him.
Shawn says HBK may be 16-0 at WrestleMania, but he is Mr. WrestleMania and has never been out performed at the big show and never will. Shawn says streaks are meant to be broken and nothing lasts forever. Shawn tells Taker something has to give, and the lights dim in the arena. A pretty cool video plays showing Taker highlights from the 16 WrestleMania events.
We come back to the arena where the lights are still dimmed and HBK is leaning on the ropes, watching the big screen. Taker is standing behind Michaels. HBK says “Hello Undertaker, I’ve been expecting you.” Taker speaks and says Shawn’s arrogance has clouded his judgment. Taker said he has fought many men he respected but they have all fallen, and Shawn will be no different. HBK says they have taken different career and personal paths, but now they’re at a crossroads. HBK says he shouldn’t have to qualify to compete against anyone at WrestleMania.
HBK talks about some of the things he has done at WrestleMania over the years and says he is still the show stopper, and can not wait for WrestleMania. Taker acknowledges Shawn has had epic victories at WrestleMania, but has also had bitter defeat. Taker says Shawn’s dream of defeating him at Mania is just that, a dream and Taker will soon lay it to rest. Taker says HBK should be concerned with what he is going to do to him and his soul. Taker says he doesn’t need to steal the show or out perform Shawn, because when he takes WrestleMania’s stage in front of all his peers and the world, Shawn will realize he is the most dangerous entity to step foot in the ring.
Taker says Shawn should have been more careful about what he wishes for because now he has opened Hell’s Gates. Taker botches the promo on two different words here. Taker says like the 16 before him, Shawn will fall too. HBK says he will rest comfortably knowing he did the impossible at WrestleMania. The lights come back up and Shawn’s music hits as he walks off to the back, Taker staring him down the entire time.
Back from commercial and the white limousine pulls into the arena as John Bradshaw Layfield steps out and makes his way to the ring. Cole says JBL has been lobbying for this match with Vickie Guerrero for sometime now. Out next is the Intercontinental Champion CM Punk to a nice pop.
They lock up to start the match and the crowd is heavily behind Punk. JBL takes Punk down with a shoulder for a 1 count and goes to work on him. Punk runs the ropes and starts kicking at JBL. Punk works JBL in the corner and gets a 1 count of his own. Punk continues to kick and punch at JBL.
They run off the ropes and JBL locks on the sleeper hold. Punk breaks the hold with a jawbreaker and hits the high knee to the face on the ropes. JBL slides out to the foor to regroup. Punk comes flying through the middle ropes, knocking JBL back down. Punk stands over JBL on the floor as we go back to commercial break.
Back from commercial and JBL has Punk locked in an abdominal stretch. During the break, JBL knocked Punk out on the floor with a big boot. JBL catches Punk and hits a huge fall away slam in the ring now for a 2 count. JBL backs Punk in the corner and hits knees to the gut. Punk falls from a big clothesline and JBL gets another 2 count. JBL works over Punk some more for another 2 count.
Punk works over Punk some more, taking him to the top. Punk counters and hits a tornado DDT on JBL for a 2 count of his own. Punk with more kicks and punches to JBL and a forearm off the ropes. Punk hits the big high knee in the corner but JBL ducks it and dumps him to the apron. Punk comes flying from the apron with a clothesline off the rope and nails the big knee in the corner this time. Punk hits the bulldog but only gets a 2 count.
Punk lifts JBL for the GTS but JBL digs at his eyes to break the hold. JBL runs the ropes and nails the Clothesline from Hell on Punk to get the pinfall and the win.
Winner and NEW WWE Intercontinental Champion: JBL
– We see Randy Orton and his wife Samantha sitting in their home as Cole talks about speaking with Orton tonight on RAW. We go to commercial.
– Backstage JBL is talking to Vickie Guerrero, telling her she can’t be serious. She says she did something for him by putting him in the Title match and now he has to do something for her. Edge walks up, saying he needs to speak to his wife. JBL says get at it before walking off. Edge asks Vickie what John Cena whispered in her ear on SmackDown. Vickie says it doesn’t matter. Edge says she’s right, it doesn’t matter. He says the only thing that matters is him signing his WrestleMania contract tonight. Edge walks off.
– We go to Randy and Samantha Orton live on satellite in their home from St. Louis. Orton introduces Samantha. Cole asks Randy why he violated his own stipulation and attacked Triple H on SmackDown this past week. Orton tells Cole to show the replay from SmackDown where Legacy beat Triple H down.
We cut back to Orton. He says call it a violation if you want, but he calls it restraint. Orton says he could have kicked Triple H in the head right there like he did everyone else, but he didn’t. Orton says he is confident Triple H will be in Houston and will show up on RAW tonight. Orton says everytime he sees Triple H, he is going to take more out of him and leave enough for him to defend at WrestleMania. Cole asks Orton if we can talk to him more throughout the night and Orton says that’s fine, he will be around to watch the main event.
– Cole and Lawler plug the main event and the Maryse vs. Melina match later tonight before taking us back to a commercial break.
Maryse vs. Melina
Back from commercial and the SmackDown Divas are on one side of the ring in support of Maryse and the RAW Divas are on the othr side, supporting Melina. Out first is the WWE Divas Champion Maryse followed by the Women’s Champion Melina. This is a non-title match.
Maryse starts the match off kicking at Melina but goes down. Maryse misses the enziguri kick and Melina goes to work. Maryse throws Melina through the ropes to the floor and the SmackDown Divas roll her back into the ring. Maryse uses the hair to slam Melina’s face to the mat. Maryse sits on Melina’s back and holds her down with a chinlock, then pulls back and stretches her body.
Melina fights back and goes to the top with a version of a Thesz press. Melina gets a 2 count on Maryse. Melina props Maryse up in the corner and drops two knees into her midsection. Melina ends up bronco buster style in the ropes and Maryse slams her into the mat. Maryse does anoither move and gets the pinfall and the win over Melina.
After the match, Rosa starts crawling in the ring to fight but Beth Phoenix stops her. The SmackDown and RAW Divas all enter the ring and start brawling. It starts out the SD vs. RAW Divas but ends up with the heel Divas being thrown to the floor and the face Divas taunting them from the ring.
– We get a video package showing the recent happenings between Edge, Vickie Guerrero and Big Show. They plug the contract signing, which is up next, as we go back to break.
– Back from commercial and we get a highlight video on WrestleMania 6 in Toronto with Andre the Giant making his last Mania appearance and Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior, with Warrior winning the WWF Title from Hogan.
– Vickie Guerrero is in the ring with the setup for the contract signing. She announces that at WrestleMania, there will be a 25 Divas Battle Royal. The winner of the match will be crowned the first-ever Ms. WrestleMania.
Vickie is at the table in the ring with the World Heavyweight Title. She introduces the challenger, Big Show, who comes out and shakes her hand. Vickie introduces the Champion and her husband, Edge, who makes his way to the ring after some pyro. Vickie asks them to take a seat at the table and they do.
Edge says he has something to say first. He says Show and himself said somethings they won’t take back to each other recently. Edge talks about WrestleMania 6 in Toronto with Warrior vs. Hogan and watching it live in the arena as a kid. Edge says Show is probably better than Warrior and he knows he is far better than Hulk Hogan. The crowd boos Edge. Edge says his point is, they have the chance to have an epic match at WrestleMania. Edge says he and Show are the top 2 Superstars in WWE today.
Big Show takes the mic and says he agrees with Edge 100% before signing his name on the contract. Edge and Show stand up and shake hands as Vickie applauds. John Cena’s music hits as Edge scrambles behind Show and Vickie. Cena comes out to a big pop, smiling at who’s in the ring. Cena hits the ring and Edge asks him what he’s doing here. Edge says it’s now official, Cena is not in the match.
Cena takes the mic, looks at Vickie and asks her if she told them or not. Edge looks confused and Vickie is looking at Cena. Edge looks at Show and says let’s get this leech out of their ring. Vickie interrupts and says she invited Cena out here. She says after some thought, it was only fair to the fans that she allow Cena to compete for the belt at WrestleMania. Cena signs his name on the dotted line. Show asks Vickie why does it matter what the fans think, he’s the #1 contender. Cena tells Show to take it easy. Cena says it’s time for everyone to know the truth and she tells him no.
Cena said he came to SmackDown last week because he had to tell Vickie something before everything became official. Cena tells everyone that what he told Vickie was that he loved her. Everyone looks confused. Cena says this might get weird because her and Edge are married. Cena says he can’t control who he falls in love with. Cena says he knows Vickie has feelings for him too. Cena says the heart wants what the heart wants and his wants the World Title and Vickie Guerrero. Cena tells her again that he loves her and tells Show and Edge he will see them at WrestleMania. Cena’s music hits as he heads to the back and Show & Edge argue with Vickie. Edge gets the mic and tells Cena to stop. Edge says Cena doesn’t love Vickie, he is just worming his way into the WrestleMania match. Edge says Vickie is going to tear the contract up right now. She won’t do it. Cena, more serious this time, tells Edge that Vickie isn’t going to tear it up. Edge tries again and she won’t do it. Cena says hold on, he can’t do it anymore. He says Edge is right, he doesn’t love Vickie, the sight of her makes him sick. Cena says that on SmackDown, he told her RAW was held in his hometown and he had friends. Friends that could sell a t-shirt or take your ticket. Friends who work the security camera. Cena shows a security camera video of Vickie sitting in a room. Big Show walks up, quietly, and thanks her for putting him in the match at WrestleMania. She says Edge is in the shower and they have to slow things down until after WrestleMania. Edge and Show make out. She tells him she hopes he wins at WrestleMania. Show walks off and Vickie pats him on the ass while Edge is in the shower still.
We cut back to the arena and everyone has a great look on their face. Cena tells Vickie she has some explaining to do. Vickie is crying as Edge tells her to look him in the face. Cena is loving this. Edge just sits down, looking confused as Cena’s music plays again and Vickie is still crying. Big Show is on the outside of the ring, staring in at Edge and Vickie. Edge looks back at Vickie and Show as RAW goes to commercial.
Money in the Bank Qualifying Match: Chris Jericho vs. Kofi Kingston
We get a replay of Chris Jericho’s attack on Jimmy Snuka from last week’s RAW before Jericho makes his way to the ring and Lawler talks about how disgusted he is with him. Out next is Kofi Kingston.
They run the ropes to start the match and Kofi takes Jericho down with a flying forearm. Kofi gets Jericho in the corner and hits him with right hands until Jericho drops Kofi to the mat and takes control of the match. We go back to commercial break.
Back from the break and Jericho has Kofi down on the mat with a headlock. During the break, Jericho owned Kofi with a springboard kick to the floor. Kofi fights back in the ring now, runs the ropes and takes Jericho down with a big flying punch. Kofi with the cross body off the top for a 2 count. Kofi gets pumped and goes for his double leg drop. Jericho counters it and tries to lock on the Walls of Jericho but Kofi counters it. Big enziguri kick by Jericho for a 2 count.
Jericho runs the ropes and hits the bulldog. Jericho misses the Lionsault as Kofi rolls out of the way. Kofi hits his big double leg drop now and covers Jericho for a 2 count. Kofi goes for a big kick but Jericho counters it and locks on the Walls of Jericho. Jericho applies the pressure as Ric Flair’s music hits and he comes to the stage. Jericho breaks the Walls and turns his attention to Flair. Jericho turns around to a big spin kick from Kofi. Kofi covers Jericho to get the win and the spot in Money in the Bank.
Winner: Kofi Kingston
After the match, Kofi Kingston celebrates up the ramp to where Flair is. Flair and Kofi taunt Jericho from the stage. Jericho looks on pissed off.
– Cole takes us to Randy Orton on the satellite feed again. Cole asks why Orton isn’t there tonight and Orton takes offense at Cole suggesting he is hiding. Orton says he is showing restraint, that’s why he isn’t at RAW tonight. Orton says he will enjoy the main event tonight with Triple H taking on Rhodes and DiBiase. We go back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Tod Grisham is backstage with Chris Jericho. Jericho says he would have won the Money in the Bank match and went onto win the World Title but Flair took that and Jericho’s WrestleMania moment away from him. Jericho says he wants his moment next week on RAW and dares Ric Flair to step out of retirement to wrestle him next week. Jericho taunts Flair some more, inviting him to come fight next week. Jericho says just like Mickey Rourke’s character in The Wrestler, Flair’s career will end forever next week on RAW.
– We get another WWE 2009 Hall of Fame video package. It’s announced this time that Koko B. Ware will be entring the Hall of Fame this year. We get a clip of Koko highlights during his time in WWF. Koko will be inducted into the Hall by The Honky Tonk Man.
Rey Mysterio is out first for this special six-man tag team match. Out next is Finlay with Hornswoggle followed by Christian Cage. We take a commercial break before their opponents make their way out for the match.
Back from commercial and the WWE Tag Team Champions The Miz and John Morrison are at ringside, taunting the faces in the ring. The pyro explodes and out comes Kane to the ring. Christian and Miz start the match off. They lock up and run the ropes with Christian taking Miz down with a spin kick. Christian uses the ropes to choke Miz. Christian hits an inverted DDT for a 2 count on Miz.
Miz counters and tags in Kane. Christian hits him with an elbow in the corner and comes off the second rope with an attempted roll-up. Kane counters and launches Christian into the corner. Huge side slam by Kane gets a 2 count. Morrison is tagged in now and he takes Christian to the mat with a big uppercut and a kick to the skull. Miz is tagged back in and they double team Cage, getting a 2 count. Headlock applied by Miz now as the crowd gets behind Christian. Christian decks Miz and they both go down. Finlay and Morrison are tagged in at the same time. Finlay unloads on Morrison, sends Kane to the floor and brings Miz in the ring, clotheslining them both before tagging in Rey. Rey comes in and unloads on Morrison, hitting a springboard move.
Rey hits a big hurrancanrana from the top rope for a 2 count on Morrison as Miz broke the hold. Miz misses his bronco buster move on Rey and falls to the floor. Rey drops Morrison for 619 but Kane grabs Rey for a chokeslam. Finlay and Christian come in, sending Kane to the floor. Rey does something awesome and drops Morrison for the 619 again, nailing it. Rey comes off the top rope and hits a plancha to get the pinfall and the win.
Winners: Rey Mysterio, Finlay and Christian Cage
– Back from commercial and we get another look at 12 Rounds starring John Cena.
Out first is 2/3 of Legacy, Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase. We see Randy and Samantha Orton watching at home. They enter the ring and await the arrival of the WWE Champion. The music hits and his video plays, but Triple H doesn’t come out. Legacy and Lilian look confused in the ring. Lilian does the introduction for Triple H and his music plays again, but he’s not coming out.
The music stops again and Legacy argue with the referee that it’s a forfeit. Lilian Garcia announces Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes as the winners by forfeit. Their music hits and they celebrate the big win in the ring as Orton appears on the big screen and tells them to cut the music. Orton says nobody should be smiling right now, Triple H let everyone down including Orton, the fans and Legacy. Orton says Triple H isn’t the man he thought he was and Orton is taking this personally.
Orton says if Triple H doesn’t show up at WrestleMania, he will get the belt one way or the other. Orton’s door bell rings and he tells Samantha to go get it as he keeps talking. Orton stops talking, leaps over the couch and tells her not to get it. The door begins to get busted down as Triple H is there with hsi sledgehammer. Samantha takes off. Triple H stares at Orton as Orton takes off.
Triple H goes through the house and comes up on two random people, asking where Orton is. They look scared. He finds Samantha ducked down behind something with a cell phone in her hand. He asks where Orton is. Orton tears the doors off a laundry room and a girl runs out screaming. Triple H continues to walk through the house with his sledgehammer as he hears something upstairs. Triple H makes his way up the steps but stops as he hears something. He walks back down the steps and is cautious. Orton comes out of a closet and attacks Triple H with what looks to be a crowbar or something. They brawl all over the place. Triple H throws Orton up into the wall and continues to beat him.
In a shot that looked to be filmed earlier, Triple H throws Orton through the window of the front of the house and starts beating on him in the front yard. Triple H tells Orton he should have finished the job. The police pull up and put Triple H in handcuffs, taking him off to the squad car. Orton is irate as he tells the cops to lock Triple H up. Orton jumps around the cops and decks Triple H as he is being put into the back of the squad car. The police take Orton into his home as the camera is put on Triple H’s face in the back of the cop car. RAW goes off the air.