TNA Against All Odds Results – February 8, 2009
– Welcome to TNA Against All Odds. The PPV kicks off with footage from outside of the Impact Zone with the Main Event Mafia (minus) Sting arriving in a stretch Hummer limousine earlier today. We are then shown a video of Team 3D arriving together in their car. We’re then shown Sting arriving by himself for tonight’s pay-per-view. After an opening video package, we’re live from the iMPACT Zone at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. Mike Tenay gives us the formal welcome as the cameras pan the crowd. Fireworks go off in the arena then the pyros fire off at the top of the ramp.
Tenay says the iMPACT Zone is jam packed with a standing room only crowd in the house. Young does a cross body block over the top rope onto the X Division champion onto the floor, which gets the first “TNA, TNA” chant of the night. The two engaged in some early action outside the ring. The referee is Rudy Charles. Fans chanted “Eric, Eric” during the match, encouraging the challenger. Lots of near pin falls. Young blocked a sliced bread attempt by Shelley.
The champion hit a frog splash from the top rope, but Young kicked out. Shelley rolled up Young at 13:03 to retain the X-Division title.
Winner: Alex Shelley
– JB is backstage with Kurt Angle and security. He asks about them arriving separate of Sting tonight. Angle puts down JB and says the Mafia is a family and he and Sting are winners. He talks about how they push each other to win and says tonight he pushes Sting.
– We go to a video package showing the history between Scott Steiner and Petey Williams.
Scott Steiner vs. Petey Williams
Scott Steiner is out first, without anyone from the Main Event Mafia, for the second match of the night. Petey is out next with matching Steiner head gear. The match starts with some taunting and posing. They lock up and Steiner shoves Petey to the mat. More stalling.
Steiner controls the early part of the match, using his strength against Petey. There’s a lot of Petey chants in the crowd. Petey counters some of Steiner’s moves and goes to the top rope for a dropkick and a 1 count. Petey takes control of the match but gets caught on the top again by Steiner. Steiner suplexes Petey from the top to the mat. Lots of heat on Steiner from the crowd.
Steiner continues to control the match and hits Petey in the corner with chops. Petey is able to kick Steiner off the ropes and knock him down. They trade blows and Steiner takes Petey back to the top. Petey pushes him to the mat and connects with a cross body. Petey hits a tornado DDT after some forearm shots. Petey goes for the Canadian Destroyer but Steiner overpowers him and slams him to the mat. Petey kicks Steiner in the head and drops him with both knees to the chest. Steiner is down and Petey plays possum and lays in the turnbuckle like he’s hurt. Steiner pulls him out of the corner, slams him on the mat. Petey rolls him up for a 2 count. What a dumb spot. Petey dropkicks Steiner to the floor and comes over the top on Steiner’s shoulders but Steiner powerbombs him on the concrete.
Back in the ring and Steiner locks on the Steiner Recliner. Petey gets out of it and Steiner tells him to get to his feet. Steiner nails the Steiner Screwdriver on Petey, dropping him on his head for the pinfall and the win.
Winner: Scott Steiner
After the match, Steiner takes the mic and insults the crowd. There’s a “f you” chant that you can hear pretty clear on TV. Steiner says he’s Mafia and puts Petey on the top turnbuckle. Steiner drops Petey from the top to the mat with a fall-away slam and then locks on the Steiner Recliner when Samoa Joe’s music hits. Steiner looks around for Joe but doesn’t see him. Joe screams STEINER! on the big screen and says Steiner is one of the 5 men responsible for what happened to him. Joe talks like he’s in some movie and says Steiner will be the first one he introduces to his Nation, Nation of Fire it sounded like.
– Tenay and West plug the rest of tonight’s card. We go backstage with JB, Mick Foley and Sting. Tenay says Foley will be handing the World Title to the winner of tonight’s main event. Foely says he hopes it’s not Kurt Angle. Sting says hold up, he can’t sit there while Foley downs another member of the Mafia. Foley puts over the match and calls Sting an Icon. Sting thanks Foley for everything before Foley walks off. JB talks to Sting about Kurt Angle wanting to win the World Title tonight and Sting says he respects that. Sting says there has to be a winner and a loser tonight but tomorrow morning, the Mafia will rise to fight another day.
Brutus Magnus vs. Chris Sabin
Brutus Magnus comes out in full Gladiator attire for this TNA PPV debut. He takes the mic and plays the heel, talking junk about Americans. He says he isn’t the typical English stereotype but he is the modern day Gladiator and hungry for victory. He says he understands someone has accepted his open challenge and tells them to come out and face him. Chris Sabin comes out to answer the challenge. Whatever happened to Rhino? The crowd chants for Sabin as the bell rings.
Magnus controls the match early on but there’s a lot of back and forth. Sabin tries to knock over Brutus with shoulders but can’t do it. Magnus lifts Sabin over his head but looks to struggle with it. He drops him but Sabin comes back with kicks in the corner. Sabin tries a kick off the turnbuckle but Magnus catches him in mid-air and drops him. A knee drop gets Brutus a 2 count. Brutus continues to control the match. Brutus hits a big suplex on Sabin and a body slam, then comes in from the apron with a big elbow drop. Lots of heat on Magnus from the crowd.
The crowd starts chanting Boring and I have to agree with them. Sabin fights back and tries to knock Magnus over. Sabin hits a big clothesline and knocks him down for a 2 count. Magnus hits a powerbomb for a 2 count. They end up on the floor and Sabin hits a cross body from the top to the floor but Magnus catches him in mid-air. They go back inside the ring and Sabin climbs the top. Magnus struggles with the ref and it looks like the ref pushes Magnus into the ropes, knocking Sabin from the top. Magnus nails a tilt-a-whirl slam variation for the pinfall and the win.
Winner: Brutus Magnus
– We go backstage with Team 3D and Lauren. They don’t really say much but talk about Angle and Sting focusing on each other too much. Lauren says there will be one World Champion tonight and Devon talks about how Team 3D are the best and without a doubt, they will become better partners at the end of the night. Bubba fakes tears and tells Devon when he retires he should be a motivational speaker. Bubba says Devon is dead on balls accurate with everything he said and says Angle & Sting are the enemy tonight. He says he and Devon are on the same quest to become World Champ. Bubba talks about their accomplishments together and says tonight might be the next step in Team 3D’s future. Bubba says Dudley blood is thicker than water. Bubba tells Lauren to come with them, they’re going to talk to Sting.
– We cut to a video package on ODB and her chase for Awesome Kong’s Knockouts Title.
Knockouts Title Match: ODB vs. Awesome Kong
Mike Tenay talks about Kong’s history as Knockouts Champion and goes over the events leading to this match. Out first is ODB to a big pop from the crowd. Kong is out next with members of her Kongtourage.
Before the match begins, Jim Cornette comes out and makes Raesha Saed, Sojourner Bolt and Rhaka Khan go to the back. He tells them if they don’t, he will take the Knockouts Title and give it straight to ODB. He gives them 10 seconds to leave and they do. Kong turns Cornette around as they are leaving and grabs him by his neck. ODB hits Kong from behind sending Cornette to the floor. ODB and Kong start brawling around the ring with ODB in control.
Back in the ring and ODB is in control and gets an early 2 count. Lots of ODB chants from the crowd. ODB goes to the top for an attack but Kong decks her in mid-air and drops her. Kong takes control of the match now, over powering ODB. ODB fights back from her knees as Kong holds her by the hair. Kong locks on a big bear hug in the middle of the ring. ODB breaks the hold and tries to scoop slam Kong but Kong falls on top of her.
Kong climbs to the top and flies towards ODB but misses. ODB gets to her feet and tries a shoulder off the ropes and other moves, trying to knock Kong down. Pure crap. ODB rallies the crowd and finally slams Kong. 2 count for ODB. ODB slaps herself in the face. Kong misses the spinning backfist but lands the Implant Buster on ODB for the pinfall and the win.
Winner: Awesome Kong
– Backstage and Team 3D are talking to Sting in the hall. Sting says something and Bubba thanks him. Bubba says tonight he wants to look into Sting’s soul. He says he looked into Sting’s eyes for one second when the Mafia was beating him down weeks ago and Sting did nothing but walk away. Bubba says Sting had the chance to do the right thing that night and he didn’t, but tonight he has a chance to redeem himself. Bubba says the Mafia stands for ego and Sting stands for respect. Bubba tells Sting they are coming for his World Title tonight and he hopes Sting does the right thing. Bubba says if the old Sting decides to show up, he and Devon have his back. They walk off. Lauren says Kurt Angle wanted her to find Sting and says he has something he wants to say to him. Sting says he will talk to Kurt Angle on his own time and walks off.
– We go to a video package showing the feud between Booker T and Shane Sewell.
TNA Legends Title Match: Booker T vs. Shane Sewell
Shane Sewell comes out first and Tenay says this is for the Legends Title. Booker T is out next with Sharmell at his side. Booker takes his time doing his entrance and we finally get ready to go. Lots of stalling to start the match. They finally lock up and go to the corner. Booker works on the arms but Shane slides out of it and counters. Still lots of stalling.
Booker uses the ropes on Sewell’s neck. Booker hits a big kick. This might be the most boring match of the night. Booker hits the Book End. Sewell keeps selling too much and this is just bad. Sewell tries to power up like Hulk Hogan. Sewell punches Booker in the corner. Sewell scoop slams Booker. Sewell hits a big running bulldog. Sharmell grabs Sewell’s ankle and trips him. Booker hits the Axe Kick for the pinfall and the win.
Winner: Booker T
After the match, Booker talks some crap on the mic and goes to do something to Sewell. The music hits and out comes AJ Styles. AJ hits the ring and unloads on Booker, taking the Legends Title, sending them to the back. AJ takes the mic and talks about growing up poor and stuff. AJ talks about what a legend is or something. AJ says its time for him to step up and be a legend.
– We go backstage with Matt Morgan and Lauren. Morgan cuts a heel promo and threatens Lauren with a slap. He just talks about Abyss and how he’s going to beat him tonight. My girlfriend just stopped by and asked me, “so this is a PPV? Looks like a bad show to me.” This is how bad this PPV is tonight, folks.
Matt Morgan vs. Abyss
Morgan comes out first for the match followed by Abyss. They collide when the bell rings, trying to knock each other over. Morgan goes for a chokeslam but can’t hit it. Morgan beats Abyss down to the mat.
They go back and forth until Abyss goes outside under the ring and brings a weapon back in. The referee takes the weapon away and Morgan hits Abyss with a big boot. Morgan charges again but Abyss ducks and Morgan ends up on the floor. They fight outside the ring now with Morgan using the fan barrier on Abyss. They go in the crowd for a minute with Morgan staying in control.
They keep fighting in the crowd and make their way up the steps. Nothing special really, just beating on each other. They come back down the steps and towards the ring. Abyss slams Morgan into the ring post. Abyss goes back under the ring and throws a ton of weapons in the ring. The ref tries to stop him but has no luck. Morgan hits a big kick to the face as Abyss enters the ring. Morgan has kept his shirt on the whole match for some reason. Morgan backs Abyss in the corner and hits a series of elbows.
Morgan is in control of the match now. Morgan puts him on the ropes and works him over, then drops a big leg drop on the ropes. They do a lot more but it’s too bad to call. Eventually Abyss gets the bag of tacks but Morgan nails him from behind and drops him. Abyss almost throws Morgan into the ref but Morgan stops. Abyss splashes Morgan from the back but he ducks and Abyss hits the ref. Abyss turns around to a big chairshot from Morgan. Morgan wakes the referee up and covers Abyss for the pinfall but only gets a 2 count. Morgan goes for another chairshot but Abyss slams him down. Morgan slams Abyss on the chair and gets another 2 count. Abyss goes to hit Morgan with a chairshot but Morgan pulls the referee in the way of it and Abyss connects on Rudy Charles with the chair. Abyss hits the Black Hole Slam on Morgan and another ref runs down for a 2 count. They get to their feet and tangle with Abyss hitting another Black Hole Slam for the pinfall and the win.
After the match, Abyss dumps the thumbtacks out all over the ring and takes Morgan’s shirt off, exposing his bandages and infection that he just had surgery on. Morgan escapes the ring and heads to the back.
– We go backstage with the Main Event Mafia. Booker is going crazy about AJ taking his Legends Title. Nash is pissed and tells him to snap out of it, it’s not about him, it’s about the Mafia. Angle talks to Sting and puts down Team 3D, saying they aren’t Sting’s friends. Kurt says tonight they Mafia will be stronger than ever and asks if they have an agreement. Angle and Sting hug as Sting walks off. Kurt tells Nash to keep an eye on Sting and Nash walks off.
– We cut to a video hyping the match between Beer Money and Lethal Consequences.
Out first is the team of Creed and Lethal. Beer Money come out next with Jackie and they’re driving a keg on wheels to the ring. That folks is the best moment of this pay-per-view so far. The Champions enter the ring and we get ready to go.
Lethal and Roode start the match off and lock up with Roode going to regroup. Off the ropes and Roode drops Lethal with a shoulder. Lethal gets to his feet and drops Roode. Beer Money call a time out. They trade shots and Lethal dumps Roode on the mat. Storm comes in and Lethal decks him too. Creed is tagged in and they clean house of both of the champs.
Storm and Creed are in the ring now going back and forth. Creed hits a big scoop slam on Storm and takes him down with a head scissors takedown. Creed continues to hit big moves on Storm and tags in Lethal. Roode gets stuck in the corner and they throw Storm into him. They do a spot where Roode’s face is buried in Storm’s crotch for about a minute. They’re disgusted now and break out a beer for each other. Roode accidentally spits the beer in Storm’s face. Lethal decks Roode in the ring now for a 2 count.
Lethal pins Roode for a count but Storm breaks it up with a bulldog. Lethal and Storm fight on the floor and Roode brings him back in for a 2 count. Roode is tagged back in now and he gets another 2 count on Lethal. Storm is tagged back in and they nail a big double team move on Lethal. Storm covers Lethal for a 2 count as Creed makes the save. Storm hits Lethal in the gut and takes him down with a chinlock. Lethal runs into a big knee by Storm and goes back down. Roode comes back in and taunts Creed, bringing him in the ring. Storm gets tagged back in and they double team Lethal, suplexing him off the top. Beer Money do their cheer in the ring as Lethal is down. Storm comes back in but Lethal counters the double team and takes them down. Lethal finally tags in Creed, who comes in and cleans house. He dropkicks Storm and nails a big right hand on Roode then a rolling double clothesline on them both. Creed hits a big cross body on Storm for a pin but Roode breaks it up. Lethal beats on Roode in the corner as Creed gets to the top. Jackie distracts him and Storm decks Creed. Storm uses the guard rail on Creed’s arm and works it over as the ref is distracted by Lethal.
Storm and Creed are in the ring now and he keeps working over the injured arm. Roode comes in for another tag and works over Creed, going right back to tag in Storm. Lots of tags here by Beer Money. Storm hits a big double underhook suplex for a 2 count. More double teaming by Beer Money. Lethal makes the save and throws Creed across the ring to their corner. Creed tags in Lethal and he comes in to clean house again on Beer Money. 2 count by Lethal on Roode. Roode catches Lethal on the top but Lethal gets the best of him. Elbow from the top from Lethal onto Roode for another 2 count. Jackie runs in and Lethal back body drops her. Lethal covers Roode for a 2 count. Lethal and Creed double team Roode for a close 2 count. Jackie hands Storm a chain and he wraps it around his hand. Storm decks Lethal from the apron allowing Roode to get the pinfall and the win.
Winners: Beer Money
– We get a video package showing the events leading up to tonight’s main event.
TNA World Title Match: Sting vs. Brother Ray vs. Kurt Angle vs. Brother Devon
Mick Foley comes out in the arena to a big pop from the crowd. Foley joins Mike Tenay and Don West for commentary. Foley quotes Randy “The Ram” Robinson and says he’s good to go. Tenay goes over the match and we see Kurt Angle backstage making his way to the ring. We cut to a video hyping Kurt Angle before he makes his way to the ring.
Backstage we see Team 3D making their way to the ring talking to each other, holding their tag titles from Japan. We get a video hyping Team 3D before their music hits and they make their way to the ring. Another video package hypes the TNA World Champion before Sting makes his way to the ring. Borash does the ring introductions and I really wish they would cut this part out of their main events. All 4 men just stare each other down as the bell rings. 3D stand off with Angle and Sting. Team 3D attack first and get the best of Sting and Angle.
3D continue working together as Devon gets a 2 count on Angle. They double team Sting now with Ray getting a 2 count now. Sting and Angle take control now and work over 3D. The tables turn again after a double clothesline and 3D are back in control. They send Angle and Sting to the floor and stand tall in the ring. 3D face off with each other. Bubba lays down and Devon pins him for a 2 count as Angle makes the save. They drop Angle for another 2 count.
Once again it’s Bubba and Devon in the ring and they lock up. They twist and turn each other as the crowd chants ECW. What a joke. They face off again in the ring. Devon hits Bubba and they trade sots in the center of the ring. They collide and Bubba slams Devon. Devon slams Bubba now. Double clothesline by Team 3D and it’s pretty obvious. Sting and Angle finally come back in the ring and clear house. Angle has Devon and Sting has Ray on the floor now, using the steps and guard rails. Ray tries throwing Sting on the announcers table but Sting counters and heads back to the ring. Sting dumps Ray into the crowd on some fans. Looks like they scared the shit out of a little kid. Devon slams Angle into the table and starts choking him with a camera cable. Ray and Sting keep fighting in the crowd and a fan is laying on the ground. They say it’s a local radio personality. In the ring, Sting locks the Death Lock on Devon while Angle has the Ankle Lock on Ray. They break the holds and start arguing. Team 3D get the best of them again. Devon locks a boston crab on Angle as Bubba has the figure four on Sting. Angle’s head is busted open.
It ends up being Sting and Angle in the ring again. Angle kicks at Sting’s leg and goes to work, knocking the Champion down. Angle continues to kick the leg of Sting, beating him around the ring as Team 3D looks on from the outside. Sting catches Angle’s leg and drops him, then hitting him with clotheslines. Sting hits the Stinger splash in the corner. Angle tackles him again and locks the Ankle Lock. Team 3D rushes the ring and once again take control. Sting drops 3D from behind and Angle drops the Angle Slam on Sting for a 2 count. Devon drops Angle for a 2 count. Bubba drops Devon with a big front slam for a 2 count. Sting drops Bubba with a DDT for a 2 count. Angle mounts Devon in the corner and hits him with punches. Sting saves Angle from being pinned by Devon. 3D work over Sting now but he counters the 3D. Sting drops Bubba with a backdrop for a 2 count.
Devon is going to go for the big headbutt on Sting but Angle suplexes him from the top. Bubba clotheslines Angle to the floor. Sting hits the Death Drop on Bubba to get the pinfall and the win.
After the match, Angle heads to the back with his hands on his head looking pissed. Team 3D tries to recover in the ring as Sting celebrates. Mick Foley heads to the ring but says something to Earl Hebner. Foley was supposed to hand Sting the World Title but Sting already had it in his hands. They botched the PPV finish. Foley shakes Sting’s hand, grabs the World Title and holds it high before handing it back to Sting. The PPV goes off the air with Sting still in the ring holding the World Title.
Latest TNA News » More TNA News