– The Smackdown brand house show scheduled for Wednesday, February 18 in Tijuana, Mexico has been canceled due to poor ticket sales. WWE’s running a show on Thursday, February 19 in Leon, Mexico instead. Tickets for the event went on sale this past Thursday.
– SmackDown Superstar The Great Khali’s “Khali Kiss Kam” was named “Worst Gimmick” in the 29th annual Wrestling Observer Newsletter readership awards announced this past week. This is Khali’s second Wrestling Observer Newsletter award as he was voted “Most Overrated” by the publication’s readership last year. Here is the final voter tally:
1. KHALI KISS CAM 62
2. Whiny world champion Samoa Joe 59
3. Super Eric 52
4. G.M. Mike Adamle 25
5. Stone Cold Shark Boy 21
6. Cute Kip 19
7. Kung Fu Naki 15
8. Sheik Abdul Bashir 14
9. Charlie Haas 12
10. Bella Twins 11
– Reportedly, Michelle Wilson, who recently quit her job as head of marketing for the U.S. Tennis Association, will be joining World Wrestling Entertainment to replace Geof Rochester as head of marketing. Rochester was among those laid off two weeks ago during the company’s cost-cutting initiative. Wilson has previous ties with WWE as she was Vice President of marketing with the XFL. When the league folded, Wilson moved to the tennis group.
– WWE (or rather, Vince McMahon) have done a complete turnaround on their stance regarding The Wrestler ever since lead actor Mickey Rourke won a Golden Globe and got an Oscar nomination for his role in the film. On Friday night’s SmackDown, they ran a video promoting the movie, and on the company website they have another video regarding the film with Ric Flair, Lilian Garcia and Mark Henry offering their thoughts on it. WWE changed their stance to ride the wave of success of the movie through WrestleMania in hopes of getting mainstream attention. Also, there has been internal talk of doing something with Rourke at WrestleMania this year. No word if it will amount to anything, but there has atleast been talk of trying to do something.