WWE RAW Results – January 19, 2009
– Tonight’s WWE RAW kicks off with a video package featuring Martin Luther King and Barack Obama. “Long Live the Dream” it says. We cut to another video that takes us back 6 months to McMahon’s Million Dollar Mania where we see some highlights including when the set fell on Vince. We cut to the RAW opening video.
The pyro explodes and Michael Cole welcomes us to the Allstate Arena in Chicago, IL where the crowd looks pumped. Lawler and Cole talk about Vince’s return tonight.
Randy Orton is out first. The only way to be eliminated from this match is to be thrown over the top. Kofi Kingston is out next, followed by Kane, Santino Marella and finally Rhodes and DiBiase come out together.
The bell rings and Kane goes after Orton, dropping him with a sideslam. The lights go off in the arena for a few seconds and come back on. Cody, Orton and Ted start stomping on Kane. Santino interrupts them but gets kicked by Ted and dumped over the top rope. They go to work on Kofi Kingston now. Kane decks Orton with a big right hand. Cody dumps Kofi over the top. Kane drops Ted and dumps Cody over the top. Kane throws Ted over but he hangs on to the apron. Kane grabs Orton for the chokeslam and tries to throw him over the top. Ted comes from behind and clotheslines Kane, sending all three men over. Ted and Kane hit the floor while Orton hangs on to the apron and rolls back in the ring for the win.
Winner: Randy Orton
After the match, Orton, Rhodes and DiBiase stand in the ring with their hands high and stare down Kane as he heads to the back. Orton points at all three of them and gets the crowd riled up. Orton grabs their arms and holds them high in again as Orton’s music plays. Forgot to mention, Cody and Ted came out to a much better new “Priceless” theme song. We go to commercial.
-Back from commercial and we see CM Punk backstage getting ready for his Intercontinental Title match later tonight.
Kelly Kelly vs. Beth Phoenix
Kelly Kelly comes out first for the next match wearing a Blackhawks jersey, I think it is. Out next is the WWE Women’s Champion Beth Phoenix, without Santino.
Lawler questions where Rosa Mendez is this week. Kelly and Beth lock up and go into the ropes. Beth pushes Kelly down to the mat. Kelly kicks her in the gut a few times and pulls her face down into the ropes. Kelly runs into Beth and gets dropped to the mat. Beth picks her up and drops her with her faceplant finisher for the pinfall and the win in a quick match.
Winner: Beth Phoenix
– Backstage, Randy Orton is talking to Ted DiBiase, saying they need to do the same thing at the Royal Rumble. Orton says if he wins, they all win. Ted says right on, count on it. Cody walks up and says Manu and Sim Snuka were seen in Stephanie’s office today and the rumor is that she’s going to fire Orton. Orton doesn’t like the sound of this and says he will see about that, then walks off. We go to another break.
– Back from commercial and we see a photo taken last week where President Bush received a WWE Championship belt from WWE and a personal note from Vince McMahon.
– Backstage we see Santino greeting Beth backstage. He congratulates her on the win and says he has a special surprise present for her. She turns around and it’s Rosa Mendez. Santino says since she can’t come to WWE events as a fan anymore, he decided to give her an internship. Rosa is all excited, marking out to Beth. Beth looks disturbed as Santino says “pleeeease, can we keep her?” Good stuff. Beth says she will think about it and walks off. Santino tells Rosa he has an idea for how she can impress Beth and says she can do it tonight. They walk off.
– We go to Stephanie’s office, she’s on the phone, with her nanny it sounds like. Randy Orton walks in. He says she did the right thing by firing Chris Jericho last week. Stephanie cuts him off and says not to worry, she’s not going to fire him. She tells him to stop sucking up to her and get out of his office. Orton stands up and says he was being nice and he isn’t worried about her firing him because Vince is coming back tonight and she needs to be worried. Orton says nobody respects her and the only reason she has the job is because she’s Vince’s daughter, everyone laughs behind her back and if her last name wasn’t McMahon she would be a complete nobody. Stephanie slaps him. He comes right back and gets in her face. They stare each other down before Orton walks off. Back to commercial.
No DQ Match for the WWE Intercontinental Title: CM Punk vs. William Regal
Back from the break and the hometown star CM Punk comes out to a tremendous pop. Out next is the WWE Intercontinental Champion William Regal with Layla at his side. Tonight’s match is No DQ.
Punk and Regal lock up to start the match and go into the ropes, testing each other. Regal applies a side headlock but Punk drops Regal for a 1 count. Punk hits Regal with big kicks to the chest and gets a 2 count. Regal rolls to the floor and Punk follows. Regal puts a knee in Punk’s gut and goes for a suplex. Punk counters with a knee and pushes Regal into the ring post. Back in the ring Punk gets another 2 count.
Punk gets another 2 count and starts kicking Regal in the back again. Yet another 2 count by Punk. They get back on their feet and Punk locks Regal’s arm, taking him back to the mat. Punk keeps Regal’s arm wrenched and face to the mat as we go back to commercial break.
Back from commercial and Punk has Regal’s arm wrapped around the ropes in a sick hold and will not break the hold as the ref asks. Layla climbs on the apron and ends up getting the hold broken. Regal puts Punk’s head in front of the ring post and kicks it. Back in the ring and a 2 count for Regal. Regal goes for a full nelson but Punk counters and dumps him on the mat. Regal counters that and locks on a submission on Punk and hits him with knees to the head. Regal has the full nelson locked until Punk fights out of it and the two trade kicks and punches. Punk with a spinning back fist and a big kick. Regal hits Punk with a low blow and turns his back. Regal turns around to a huge kick from Punk for a 2 count. Running knee in the corner by Punk. Regal counters the bulldog with a huge back suplex.
Regal gets a 2 count on Punk and takes him to the top turnbuckle, kicking him on the way and hitting a big headbutt. Regal climbs up with Punk but Punk pushes him back to the mat. Punk gets pumped but misses the cross body from the top. Punk catches Regal in the GTS and hits it, but its sloppy. Punk pins Regal for the pinfall and the win.
Winner and New WWE Intercontinental Champion: CM Punk
After the match, the Chicago crowd erupts as Punk takes his Intercontinental Title and hypes the fans up. Punk celebrates in the ring for a good few minutes before hopping over the fan barrier and posing with the fans. Punk greets a bunch of kids at ringside before heading to the back.
– Back from commercial and Jerry Lawler is in the ring. He introduces JBL for the contract signing. JBL comes out with Shawn Michaels at his side. There’s the usual red cover on the ring and the table and two chairs. Out next is the World Heavyweight Champion John Cena.
Lawler tells them once the documents are signed, the match will be official, so who wants to go first. Cena signs his name on the contract. JBL takes the clipboard and signs it too. JBL says it’s official, JBL’s reign as World Champion is just a matter of time. Cena calls him a scumbag and tells him to get over himself. Cena addresses HBK and JBL cuts him off, saying HBK is under a personal services contract to him and will be in his corner at the Rumble to support him, and that will be his only function. Cena asks HBK to listen for him and says he tried to support HBK’s decision to join JBL but he and the people just don’t understand anymore. Cena talks about their match last week and says HBK still has it.
Cena goes on and on about HBK’s decisions and says he’s Mr. WrestleMania, not JBL’s puppet. JBL says an employee is not a puppet. He says he knows HBK is all those titles he always was and that’s why he hired him. JBL says it’s not personal, it’s a business decision. HBK tells him to shut up and grabs the mic. HBK says the idea that he has to take money from JBL is sick. He says he despises what he has become, but he does it anyway and will continue to do it. HBK tells Cena he don’t live in his world. HBK says he’s not 20 years old anymore, he’s got obligations and people that depend on him, pressures Cena couldn’t imagine.
HBK talks about his kids and wife and how he pissed away their life savings. HBK says he got himself into this and he will get himself out. He says people can judge him all he wants, but he’s going to do what he has to do and if it means taking money from JBL, then he’s going to do it. HBK says if it overshadows what he’s done or costs Cena the World Title, then so be it. Cena takes the mic and says he doesn’t believe this. Cena says HBK has the god-given ability to be better than anyone else and people don’t want to see him like this. Cena says HBK has another choice and at the Royal Rumble, he will have to make that choice. Cena says he knows when the chips are down, HBK won’t help JBL. HBK says he is sorry he feels that way. HBK turns away but jerks back at Cena. JBL decks Cena. Cena tries to get up and gets hit with a big boot. HBK has that pitiful, looking at the floor look again as he takes JBL’s coat. HBK exits the ring right as JBL drops Cena with a Clothesline from Hell. HBK is already walking up the ramp as JBL exits the ring and we cut to replays.
Back from commercials and we get replays of Mike Knox attacking Rey Mysterio last week. Rey comes out first for their singles match. Grisham approaches Mike Knox backstage and asks him what he has against Rey. Knox says nothing against Rey and he doesn’t have a reason for doing what he has been doing. Rey finishes his entrance as Knox makes his way to the ring.
The bell rings and Rey starts punching at Knox. Rey ducks Knox and dumps him over the top rope to the floor. Knox comes back in and Rey kicks at him. Rey kicks his leg out from under him but gets leveled by a huge clothesline. Knox backs Rey in the corner now and works him over. A huge boot by Knox for a 2 count on Rey.
Knox is bleeding from the mouth as he locks Rey in a big bear hug. Rey fights out of it and Knox runs into the turnbuckle. Rey comes off the top and drops Knox on the ropes and goes for the 619. As Rey comes around in the 619, Knox grabs his legs and stops him. Knox catapults Rey’s neck into the top rope and starts dropping knees and right hands on Rey. The referee DQ’s Knox and calls for the bell.
Winner by DQ: Rey Mysterio
After the match, Knox ignores what the ref says and keeps beating on Rey. Knox lays Rey out with his finisher. Knox heads to the back as the ref tends to Rey.
– Backstage we see Stephanie McMahon walking into her office. Chris Jericho is there sitting down. She tells him to get out and asks what he’s doing here. He says last week, he called Vince’s office and said the fact she fired the Superstar of 2008 was dumb. So they allowed him to plead his case and be here tonight. He says he is going to do that and won’t hold nothing back as he walks off and Stephanie looks pissed. Back to commercial.
– John Morrison and The Miz are in the ring. They say they want to commemorate this Royal Rumble by beating the winner of the first-ever Rumble, Hacksaw Jim Duggan. Morrison tells him to get out here and pick which one of them beat him up. Cryme Tyme’s music hits and out they come. They say Duggan is on special assignement right now but they will take them up on the offer. They talk about MLK Day and Obama’s inauguration tomorrow. They want a Title shot. Miz and Morrison say they don’t deserve it and they’re worse than the Cubs. JTG calls them silly white boys. He says they’re happy to beat them tonight and earn a Title shot and if they lose, they won’t bother them anymore. Miz and Morrison mock them and Obama. We’ve got a match.
John Morrison and The Miz vs. Cryme Tyme
Morrison and Shad start the match off and Morrison gets the upperhand, then decks JTG on the apron. Shad comes back and lays Morrison out with clotheslines and decks Miz. Shad lifts Morrison in the air and drops him. Cryme Tyme does a bit of double teaming or something behind the ref’s back and Shad drops Morrison with his finisher for the pinfall and the win, and the future Title shot.
Winners and New #1 Contenders: Cryme Tyme
– Back from commercials and we get more hype for the Royal Rumble after Cole and Lawler go over the rules for the Rumble match itself. They give us some trivia and interesting facts regarding the Rumble match.
– Backstage Cody Rhodes is talking to Mickie James. He asks why he should take career advice from her and she says because she’s been Women’s Champion 4 times. Cody turns around and his brother, Goldust, is there. He says if he wants some good advice, watch the new Starrcade DVD and mentions Sting, Flair, Guerrero and Dad. He hands him the DVD. Cody mentions the 2 of 3 falls match with Steve Austin vs. a young Dustin Rhodes. Goldust says this DVD can teach him more than Randy Orton can. Cody gives him back the DVD and says he joined Randy Orton so he wouldn’t end up like him. He says when they make the Cody Rhodes DVD, he will be sure to send him and The Dream a copy. Goldust shakes his head as Cody walks off.
– A black limousine pulls up outside the building as Lawler wonders if its Vince McMahon. We go back to commercial break.
Melina vs. Jillian Hall
Back from commercial and Jillian Hall is in the ring singing something horrible. Melina comes out next after replays from last week and she looks pissed. They lock up and Melina throws her in the corner but misses. Beth comes walking down the ramp with Santino and Rosa behind her as Jillian has control of Melina in the ring. 2 count by Jillian.
Jillian hits a big side slam and another 2 count. Jillian works over Melina in the corner some more with shoulder thrusts. Melina out of nowhere gets a sunset flip for the pinfall and the win.
After the match, Rosa Mendes rushes the ring and attacks Melina. Beth comes from behind and lifts Melina up and slams her on her face. Beth yells at Melina that she doesn’t need anyone’s help to beat her. Rosa asks Santino if she did good. Beth comes walking by them and doesn’t hug Santino back.
– Backstage Dolph Ziggler is talking with Candice Michelle about winning the Rumble. He turns around and it’s Vince McMahon. Vince introduces himself. Dolph tries to introduce himself but is speechless. Candice laughs as Vince walks off and we go back to commercial.
– Back from commercial and Cole leads us to replays from earlier of the altercation between Shawn Michaels, JBL and John Cena.
– Back in the arena, Vince McMahon’s music hits and out he comes to a huge pop. Vince does his stroll down the ramp to the ring as Lilian Garcia welcomes him back on the mic. Vince definitely is in the building tonight.
Vince says everyone must be happy to see him back and he’s glad to be back. He says tonight is all about business. He says a former World Champion has a grievance to air out tonight and introduces Chris Jericho. Vince tells Jericho his suit is nice. Jericho says the same and thanks Vince for hearing him out. Jericho says while Vince was gone, he carried RAW on his back and Stephanie goes and fires him. Jericho says now that Vince is back, he knows he will make things right and asks Vince to re-hire him and put him in the Royal Rumble. Jericho sucks up to Vince.
Vince says he watched last week and saw what Stephanie did. He asks if she’s made any progress as RAW General Manager and Jericho says she is worse than ever. Vince says let’s bring out Stephanie, and introduces her. Stephanie comes out and Vince holds her hand as she enters the ring. He says he doesn’t want to go over her head, but he’s thinking about reinstating Jericho. But he’s not. Jericho looks shocked. Vince says he won’t and he won’t fire his daughter either. He says Stephanie and he will run RAW together. Vince suggests Stephanie give Jericho a second chance, but says it is up to her.
Stephanie says if Jericho really wants his job back, then he has to apologize. Jericho shakes his head no. She says fine and calls for security. Jericho stops her and says he’s sorry. Stephanie asks him to speak up a little bit. Jericho says it again, with his head down. Steph says he’s going to have to do better than that. Jericho says he is sorry he spoke out of turn against her, says he was frustrated with himself and should not have taken it out on her and hopes she can find it in her heart to forgive him. Stephanie says that’s good, but not good enough.
Stephanie says Jericho has been calling fans hypocrites for months and it’s time for him to be one. She says to get his job back, he must apologize to the fans. They start chanting “on your knees” and Stephanie points this out. She points to the mat. Jericho smirks and slowly gets down on his knees. He says he has to explain something to everyone. He says he has a gift and when you have a gift like his that makes you perform better than anyone on the planet, it may make him look like he’s arrogant. Jericho says he knows he has said a lot of mean things about the fans and he apologizes.
Stephanie tells him to get off his knees because this is embarrassing. She says she will see him at the Royal Rumble. Steph tells him to walk to the back and finish letting the people tell him what they really think of him. Everyone starts taunting Jericho and giving him hell. Vince says he just loves to see Jericho like that, it warms his something. Jericho rolls his eyes as he walks to the back. Vince tells Steph she’s still daddy’s little girl and hugs her. Out comes Randy Orton.
Orton enters the ring and asks Vince to excuse him. He says there’s another apology in order and talks about Stephanie slapping him earlier for no reason at all. Orton says Vince should tell Stephanie to apologize to him. Vince asks why would he do that? Orton says he is worth more than she is, will win the Rumble this Sunday and go on to headline WrestleMania which will make Vince millions of dollars. Orton says Vince might not want to admit this, but ever since Steph has popped out a couple of grandkids, she’s become worthless. Steph goes towards Orton but Vince stops her and asks her to leave the ring.
Vince comes back and asks Orton who the hell he thinks he is. Vince says this is his ring, his universe and Orton is privileged to be in it. Vince brings up Orton’s dad, Cowboy Bob Orton. Vince says he was a “mediocre rassler” until Vince came along. Vince says he made Orton’s dad a Superstar and if he did not do that, Orton wouldn’t be standing here right now. Vince says Orton might be a gym teacher in St. Louis. Vince tells Orton to apologize to him now.
Orton just stares at Vince. Vince tells him to apologize, or else. Vince says if he doesn’t apologize, he will terminate him right now on the spot. Orton says Vince does not want to do that, sir. Vince and Orton just stare at each other for a minute. Vince says, Randy Orton you’re…. ORTON DECKS VINCE! Orton lays him out with a right hand and then kicks him to the mat. Orton goes for the punt kick and nails Vince with it. Officials and Stephanie run down as Orton looks shocked like “WTF DID I JUST DO?” Stephanie is screaming “DAD!” as the officials check on Vince. A stretcher is brought out and they load Vince up on it as Orton stands in the corner with his hands on his head. Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase come down after replays and are asking Orton what the hell he did that for. The Legacy scramble to the back as Vince is put on the stretcher with a neck brace. RAW goes off the air with Stephanie crying for Vince.