WWE RAW Results – December 22, 2008
– Tonight’s WWE RAW from Toronto kicks off with Santino Marella and WWE Women’s Champion Beth Phoenix backstage. Santino says for the past 12 months, people have done nothing but disrespect him. He says now it’s his turn to have a little bit of fun. Santino says he has a secret, one he wants all the kids to pay attention to. He says it’s about Santa Claus. Beth tries to stop him but he tells her to shut up. John Cena walks up and Santino closes his mouth. Cena starts ragging on Santino as a kid at Christmas time. Cena tells him not to talk about Santa. Santino says he would love the chance to shut Cena up tonight and tells him to pick a partner to face him and Beth Phoenix tonight. We cut to Goldust, who does some comedy. Santino says pick someone with ovaries. Cena says he will find a Diva tonight and Santino says when he and Beth win tonight, he will tell the secret of Santa Claus. We cut to RAW’s opening video.
We’re in the arena and Kane makes his entrance. Out comes Kelly Kelly just a few steps behind him. Kelly looks a little scared. Kane grabs the mic and says he was asked by Stephanie McMahon to apologize to Kelly for what happened last week. Kane walks up on her and says “I apologize to you.” She looks on with a somber look on her face. Kane says she should apologize for lying to him and leading him on. He says she is not in love with The Miz and one day she will be sorry. Out comes Shawn Michaels.
The crowd is rowdy as HBK comes out to a mixed reaction. Kane and HBK go at it with Kane getting the upperhand early on. Kane works him over in the corner with big right hands after a big boot to the face. 2 count by Kane. An HBK chant breaks out. Kane continues to be in control and takes HBK down with a headlock. HBK fights to his feet with chops and rights. Atomic drop by HBK. Kane with another right and another 2 count.
Kane kicks HBK in the back of the head and keeps stomping on him. Kane knocks HBK back to the mat with another big boot. Another 2 count by Kane. HBK counters a chokeslam and turns it into a crossface. The crowd is booing hard now. Kane slams HBK for another 2 count. Kane flies off the top rope on HBK and lays him out. HBK gets up and counters another chokeslam to lay Kane out with the Sweet Chin Music for the pinfall and the win. We see JBL backstage looking at a monitor nodding his head.
Winner: Shawn Michaels
Kofi Kingston makes his way to the ring first. A side video pops up with Kofi wishing everyone here and in his home country a Happy Holiday. Manu is out next with Kofi Kingston at his side. They lock up and go back and forth to start the match.
Kofi sends Manu outside first. Manu comes back in and slams Kofi then puts him in the corner. Manu runs into Kofi’s feet twice as Cody cheers him on. Manu slams Kofi again for a 2 count. Manu applies a headlock and Kofi tries to break out of it but Manu keeps slamming him. Manu nails the flying headbutt for another 2 count.
Kofi finally catches Manu in the corner and nails a crossbody from the top rope. Manu misses a clothesline and Kofi comes off the ropes with a forearm. Kofi does his little Boom Boom stuff and almost trips over his own feet before nailing it. Kofi counters the Samoan Drop by Manu and rolls him up for the pinfall and the win.
Winner: Kofi Kingston
– We see John Cena and Kelly Kelly talking backstage but you can’t hear what they say. They smile and shake hands before walking off from each other. We cut to commercial break.
– Backstage, Sim Snuka is talking with Randy Orton. Sim tells Orton he knows he can make a big difference in his group. Cody and Manu walk up, Orton says he doesn’t want to hear it. Orton tells Snuka they will take more later and says maybe they could use a new member. Sim and Manu stare each other down before Snuka walks off.
– We go backstage with CM Punk talking to Shawn Michaels in the locker room about something he saw over in Iraq. Punk talks about the contenders matches when Triple H walks up. Triple H tells HBK they need to talk, and he knows about what. HHH says he has been avoiding his calls and stuff so he had to come to RAW. Triple H tells him if he was having trouble he could have came to him for help. HBK says he didn’t want to go to his friend for help. HBK says he has to do this his own way and doesn’t want anyones help. HBK tells Triple H to trust him, he knows what he’s doing. Triple H says for his sake, he hopes he does and walks off. HBK mumbles “me too” as we cut to commercial.
Jillian Hall and Layla vs. Mickie James and Melina
Back from commercial and Jillian Hall is singing Christmas songs in a British accent. Out comes Mickie and Melina next. Melina rides Mickie’s back down the ramp and they do a leap frog thing. William Regal is on commentary. Melina and Layla start the match with Melina taking control. She tags in Mickie and they double team Layla. Dropkick by Mickie. 2 count. Mickie kicks Jillian on the apron and fights off Layla. Layla distracts the ref as Jillian pushes Mickie to the floor from the top rope. Layla rolls Mickie back in the ring and covers her for a 1 count.
Mickie holds her knee as Layla works her over. Jillian comes in and beats on Mickie in the corner now. Mickie drops Jillian on her good knee and tags in Melina, who hits Jillian with forearms and slams her by her hair for a 2 count. Jillian tries to sideslam Melina but drops her on her head in another botch. Not the first in this match. Melina nails the split leg drop but can’t get the pin. Jillian takes control and gets a 2 count on Melina as Mickie makes the save. Melina punches Jillian in the gut, barely, and hits her spider finisher for the pinfall and the win. Mickie is still selling her knee injury as she gets in the ring to raise hands with Melina.
Winners: Melina and Mickie James
– Up next is JBL vs. Rey Mysterio in the “Race to the Rumble” as we go back to commercial break.
– Back from break and we see a clip of when Rhodes and Manu, then Mike Knox attacked Rey last week in his match with Snuka. Cole says that won’t be happening tonight and says he will explain in a minute. Here comes Mysterio.
Rey Mysterio vs. JBL
Rey Mysterio comes to the ring and Cole says Stephanie McMahon has given Mike Knox the night off after what happened last week. Out next is JBL to the ring, no limousine tonight. JBL takes Rey to the mat to start the match but Rey comes off the ropes and falls to a big shoulder block. JBL stomps on Rey’s hand and goes for the powerbomb. Rey fights out of it and drops JBL on the ropes for the 619. JBL rolls to the floor. Rey comes over the top rope onto JBL and goes back in the ring as we cut to commercial.
Back from commercial and JBL is still in control. JBL runs into Rey’s boots in the corner and goes down. Rey flies off the top but JBL catches him and drops him with the fall-away slam for a 2 count. JBL bends Rey’s back over his kneeand tries to make him submit. Rey fights out of it, going for JBL’s leg. Rey hits a sunset flip and dodges a punch by JBL and gets a 2 count. JBL nails a huge clothesline on Rey out of nowhere for a 2 count.
JBL drops a series of big elbow drops on Rey now and gets another close 2 count. Rey slides under JBL’s legs and kicks at his knees. Rey drops him and covers JBL for a 2 count. JBL pulls Rey by his waist and throws him through the ropes to the floor. JBL rams Rey’s back into the side of the ring as the ref counts. JBL gets back in the ring. Rey gets back in the ring right before the 10 count. JBL covers him but tries to use his feet and the ref sees him. Big short clothesline by JBL. Another clothesline by JBL and Rey is out of it. A third clothesline by JBL drops Rey again and he gets a 2 count.
JBL puts Rey on his shoulders in a torture rack. Rey fights out of it but JBL locks on a sleeper hold. Rey counters with a jawbreaker and jumps on JBL’s back with a sleeper hold of his own. Rey drops JBL’s face into the turnbuckle and nails a senton from the apron. Head scissor takedown by Rey followed by the signature bulldog. 2 count by Rey. Rey runs the ropes but gets dropped hard by a big boot from JBL. 2 count by JBL. JBL goes for the Clothesline from Hell but Rey holds the ropes and counters. JBL grabs him and goes to fall-away slam him over the top rope to the floor but Rey nails a DDT. 2 count. Big enziguri kick by Rey followed by a dropkick that sends JBL to the ropes. Rey goes to hit the 619 but Shawn Michaels runs down and pulls JBL out of the ropes. HBK stands JBL on his feet on the floor and slaps JBL in the mouth. The referee announces JBL as the winner as a result of outside interference. Rey argues with the referee as JBL walks off smiling.
Randy Orton vs. Batista
Back from the break and we see another clip of Orton and Batista on last week’s RAW. Randy Orton’s music hits and he comes to the ring by himself to a huge pop from the crowd.
A referee runs to the ring announcer and tells him something. It’s announced that Batista is unable to compete or be here tonight and Randy Orton wins as a result of a forfeit. Orton takes the mic. The crowd is going nuts.
Orton says he has had many memorable events in his career but nothing is as personally satisfying than when he kicked Batista in the skull last week. Orton says 4 years ago he won his first World Title in this very arena but the next day, Batista dropped him on his head and ambushed him. Orton says he’s been dreaming about kicking Batista in the head for the last 4 years. Same dream, every night, 4 straight years – Orton says. Orton says last week it finally happened and Christmas came early. Orton asks Batista how does it feel to know he won’t be facing Cena at the Rumble. How does it feel to have his career cut short. Orton says Batista has came full circle from Evolution to where he started, taking a backseat to Randy Orton. The crowd chants RKO as Orton stares. Orton says Batista had his time and his time is over. Orton says the next time he sees him, he will once again be the World Heavyweight Champion. The crowd pops as Orton’s music hits and he looks around. This guy is super over.
Winner by forfeit: Randy Orton
– Back from commercial and Kelly Kelly is getting ready. Dolph Ziggler walks up and introduces himself before walking off. Kelly turns around again and it’s John Morrison and The Miz. Miz thanks her for the chokeslam and tombstone he received last week on RAW from Kane. They ask if it’s Cena that she’s protecting. She says no, he just asked her to team with him. Miz and Morrison say they heard someone trashed a hotel room at the Superstars hotel and rumor has it that it’s Kelly’s room. They tell her Merry Christmas before walking off.
Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk
Chris Jericho is out next for the final contenders match tonight. Punk comes out next and the bills rings. The crowd is into the match before it starts. They lock up and back off each other. Side headlock by Jericho then a shoulder block sends Punk to the mat.
They lock up again and another side headlock by Jericho. They go back and forth and Jericho takes Punk back to the mat with another side headlock. Punk counters into a head scissors on the mat. Back on their feet and Punk arm drags Jericho back to the mat. Punk with a 2 count on Jericho. Jericho throws Punk into the corner and clotheslines him. Big suplex by Jericho for a 2 count. Right hand by Jericho in the corner. Punk with a cross body from the top and kicks to Jericho. More big kicks from Punk send Jericho to the mat. The ref tends to Jericho to see if he can continue after the big kick. We go to break.
Back from commercial and Punk wraps Jericho on the ropes in a spider hold. Jericho fights back and starts kicking Punk around the mat. Big slam by Jericho for another 2 count. Jericho with another headlock on the mat. Punk fights to his feet and hits a headbutt but runs right into a high knee from Jericho. Jericho kicks Punk in the back. The Canada crowd pops for Jericho. Jericho takes Punk to the top rope for a superplex but Punk fights him off and pushes him to the mat. The crowd boos Punk.
Punk nails the cross body from the top for a 2 count. Eventually Jericho locks on the Walls of Jericho and holds it until Punk breaks out. Jericho goes for it again but hits a big knee to the chin of Jericho. 2 count by Punk. Punk hits the big running knee in the corner on Jericho and another big kick to the head. Punk springboards off the top rope but Jericho catches him in mid-air with the Codebreaker for the pinfall and the win to a huge pop.
Winner: Chris Jericho
– Backstage we see Kelly Kelly rushing out of the arena as Todd Grisham asks her what about the match with Cena. She says she talked it over with him and he’s fine with it. Back to commercial break.
– We get a video from the Tribute to the Troops show before going back to commercial break.
Santino Marella and Beth Phoenix vs. John Cena and Trish Stratus
The WWE Women’s Champion Beth Phoenix and Santino Marella are out first. They stop at ringside and acknowledge the Phoenix fan, Milena Roucka in the crowd with another sign. The crowd breaks out in a Santino chant as he takes the mic. Santino says he found out the fans name, it’s Rosa Mendez. Santino points her out and says she is the #1 Santino fan. She’s trying to tell him as she waves her sign. Santino says he’s going to reveal Santa’s secret now and tells everyone to listen up. Cena’s music hits and out comes the World Heavyweight Champion.
Cena takes the mic and gets bood. He says he did some research and found out Santino’s secret for Santa. He said Santa is here tonight and points out a Santa in the crowd. Cena says Santa gave him a new partner this year and here she is… Trish Stratus! Trish comes out to a huge pop from the crowd.
Beth and Trish stare each other down. Santino says he wants to start it off and he and Cena lock up. Cena takes Santino to the mat and gets boo’d from the crowd. Cena backs Santino in the corner but gets nailed by a right hand. Santino tags in Beth. Cena tags in Trish. Beth and Trish come face to face in the ring, taunting each other. Beth pushes her. Trish responds with forearms to the head. Trish bends back and ducks Beth off the ropes with the matrix move. Trish with big chops on Beth. Beth grabs Trish by the throat and lifts her in the air, throwing her back in the corner.
Beth holds Trish as Santino climbs the top. Trish falls into the rope and Santino falls on his crotch. Trish takes him off the top with a head scissors but Beth comes over and drops Trish on her head. 2 count by Beth. Beth scoops Trish and drops her over her knee, twice then slams her to the mat. Beth drags Trish by her hair around the ring. Right hand by Beth, and another. A nice CENA SUCKS chant breaks out. Trish counters a move and both Divas are down now. Cena gets tagged in as Santino does. Big shoulder by Cena and another. Cena hits the big back suplex and then the Five Knuckle Shuffle. Cena scoops Santino for the FU but Beth makes the save. Trish comes in and kicks Beth in the face, sending her to the mat. Cena hits the FU on Santino to get the pinfall and the win.
Winners: Trish Stratus and John Cena
After the match, Trish and Cena celebrate in the ring, holding up each others hands until RAW goes off the air.